Wild Cherry

David Ward

TVWBB Fan
I have a question about smoke wood. I have been using cherry that I buy in chunks from a local source when I use cherry. Some time back I had a friend who cut down a wild cherry tree and gave me all the logs from it which I split and set up to dry. It's been over a year and it's about as dry as it's gonna get, but I've been reluctant to use the wood as I don't know if "wild" cherry is the same as what we normally consider smoking cherry. I have no idea what species of cherry this is (choke cherry possibly?) and did not see the tree before it was cut down. Color of wood was very similar to the chunk stuff I buy after it dryed some (before it weathered).

Any thoughts on this - is it probably good to use or is there a wild form of "cherry" that is not good to use?

PS - it came from the Atlanta GA area if that helps.

I use wild cherry all the time that I cut from my hill. Love the results. Burn a little piece of it and smell it; see if it's to your liking.

My neighbor is cutting a wild cherry tommrow a bigun and all the wood is gona be tossed in my back yard
icon_biggrin.gif
I have used it befor and really like it . IMO its just like any other cherry maybe a tad stronger depending on the tree .

I use wild cherry alot. I love it. Works well with fish. Not too strong, but adds a very nice color. Works great with chicken also. Use it

Back