Wifi help - Realtek RTL8191SU

Melvin C

Hi guys,
Building my HM 4.2.4 with Rpi Model B. Everything works except for the wifi. I am trying to use an old Patriot wifi usb dongle but am having trouble. It doesn't seem to get recognized by OpenWRT. I figured this could be because the drivers aren't loaded. I installed Raspbian Wheezy on another SD card to see what happens and it loads the wifi dongle correctly right off the bat.

I'm trying to figure out how to load the proper drivers but my knowledge in this operating system is limited. Looked at this wiki page to find the appropriate driver
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Patriot_Memory_PCBOWAU2-N
https://github.com/chunkeey/rtl8192su

Looks like it should be the RTL8192SU which I thought was loaded already in the OpenWRT image. Any help is greatly appreciated. I've spend the last 3 days trying to see if I can figure it out by myself but I can't seem to find the answer.

Thanks.

Sorry, forgot to add the dmesg
[ 2.329420] usb 1-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 4 using dwc_otg
[ 2.432020] usb 1-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=8172
[ 2.434503] usb 1-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber =3
[ 2.436847] usb 1-1.2: Product: RTL8191S WLAN Adapter
[ 2.439156] usb 1-1.2: Manufacturer: Manufacturer Realtek
[ 2.441371] usb 1-1.2: SerialNumber: 00e04c000001

The only supposed Wifi dongles are Realtek 8192cu or Ralink RT5370. You could always try to compile up your own driver for Openwrt but given that these adapters are $9 I don't think it is worth the time to try to do it. I understand the desire to want to use what you've already got, but Raspbian is a 2GB juggernaut and HeaterMeter is a 20MB single-purpose piece of software designed to be up and running without problems as quickly as possible.

Thanks Bryan, wanted to see if there was an easy fix but to your point I'll just have to buy a new dongle. In the future, perhaps I will learn some programming to open up my options.

Back