Why doesn't Weber have charcoals shaped like their gas grills?

David

TVWBB Pro
Since their is no general discussion area, I picked this section.

Anyone know why all of Weber's charcoal grills are kettle style and not rectangle like the gas grills. I sees to me that the length of most of the competitors grills allow for better placement of long items. To do skewers, I need to place them in the middle and waste all the side space or buy flexwire to make them fit a circle. Not that there's anything wrong with the kettle concept, why not an alternative from weber? Heck, why not a gas kettle if there so great? We all know gas can travel in a circle, ie. the Q series.

Just asking, not trying to pick a fight or be negative toward Weber, heck, I've got three of them:cool:....................d

Weber has a small rectangular portable grills, The Go Anywhere Grill. Go Anywhere Most on this site prefer the Smokey Joes. I think it's mainly because of the even heat distribution.

Last edited:
Heck, why not a gas kettle if there so great?

Weber did make a propane kettle (I think it was in the late 70's). Must not have sold well, as they aren't still making them. And they are pretty rare finds on Craigslist.

I think the reason for maintaining the kettle shape on the charcoal grills is for heat distribution and air flow

Since their is no general discussion area, I picked this section.

Anyone know why all of Weber's charcoal grills are kettle style and not rectangle like the gas grills. I sees to me that the length of most of the competitors grills allow for better placement of long items. To do skewers, I need to place them in the middle and waste all the side space or buy flexwire to make them fit a circle. Not that there's anything wrong with the kettle concept, why not an alternative from weber? Heck, why not a gas kettle if there so great? We all know gas can travel in a circle, ie. the Q series.

Just asking, not trying to pick a fight or be negative toward Weber, heck, I've got three of them:cool:....................d

There used to be a CharQ that was in the Q format, but Weber discontinued it last year.

Weber could and should make a bigger version of the Go Anywhere Charcoal Grill. I would buy one in a heartbeat.

A good question. One reason may be historical. While they were not the first to sell kettle's (Bakers takes that honor as far as I know) they were the first to sell them at a mass market level. They are recognizable Icons so maybe Weber doesn't want to mess with an idea that has worked so well for them for so long. That is one reason why I think they are avoiding the Kamado market. Why give anyone the impression that their wonderful (and wonderfully profitable) charcoal grills need improvement.

If it aint broke....don't fix it. Got enough inferior square grills being made out there.....................of course a large square charcoal grill by Weber would sell like hotcakes!!

The Kettle shape is not mearly iconic, it is also functional. I read this somewhere and it covers the question pretty well: Heat distributes evenly. Food cooks predictably, which is a key when using charcoal. The fire stays hotter longer. You may even use less charcoal to achieve the same heat as other brands. And cleanup is so much easier. You can cook alright on other brands of charcoal grills. I've done it. But if you have any choice in the matter, any chance at all, to step up to a Weber kettle grill.

It would make this real long pork roasts way easyer to throw on the grill. But then one might have an excuse to it the 26 incher for the long meats.

Back