Why bother?

Nick Burns

I recently made buckboard bacon and it came out great. makin bakin

Like most people on this board, you like to share what you made with friends, family, and even coworkers. Especially when I had 10 pounds of bacon!

Here's the problem. When I ask people if they want some they ask my WHY did I make it in the first place? Why do I even bother?

They tell me they can go out for BQ and feed up for $20 and there is no mess or work.
I usually don't care but this last time with the bacon was unreal. 90% of everyone I told that I made bacon asked Why? Why bother? I can go to the supermarket and buy it for $5 or go to the butcher and have it cut thicker. Bacon is bad for you. Why would you make so much? How much bacon can you eat? You have too much free time!.

Has anyone else experienced this? I would like to here some opinions on how to deal with people who don't "get it" Remember these are family and friends!

Nope, never ran into that here in PA, must be a Calif snob thing.
icon_confused.gif
When I tell people that has eaten my Q and or food over the years that I made bacon or smoked turkey salad or........, I get the "really, can you bring some in for me" reply. Next time they ask "why make your own" say because I can, and It's better than I can buy.
icon_wink.gif

I've not experienced this, and I live in CA, so it must be just your family and friends. You can get new friends, but you'll have to suffer with the family you've got.
icon_wink.gif

Seriously, though, I'm not sure it's worth the effort trying to reason with people that react like this. You could try to educate them about how what you make is higher quality, better tasting, you control all the ingredients and process so you know what's in the food you're eating. You could call it "artisanal"--maybe that will make them curious. Or you could compare your obsession with BBQ to people who grow their own grapes and make their own wine or people who bake their own bread. Why does anyone make anything that can be store-bought if not for the fun and satsifaction of doing it? What don't they get about that?

Interestingly, when I tell people I'm into BBQ, most say, "Oh yeah, I've seen that on The Food Network, those big contests and cooking rigs. Looks pretty cool." Never "Why in the #$%% do you do that?"

In any event, don't let them get you down.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Regards,
Chris

I wouldn't expect everyone to get it. Different strokes for different folks. Obviously the ones who don't get it aren't likely to get an invitation or a sample the next time around.

why care what others think? you do it for yourself cuz you know what quality is. too many accept mediocrity in their food and really miss out. i do my q cuz i want something better but also enjoy the heck out of doing it. send me some of yer bacon and i'll email you every day on how you did good and how yer bacon is the best.
icon_biggrin.gif

I cannot say I've had anyone ask why; they usually ask, "when's your next bbq and are we invited."

I'm curious, do these people have hobbies? For me cooking is a hobby. Sure I could go out to eat but then I don't have the enjoyment of preparing the meal, which for me is therapeutic. I draw this analogy; I have a neighbor who does his own yard work. I suppose I could ask him why he does his own yard work when gardners are so affordable where we live. But I know he enjoys yard work, it's a hobby of sorts for him. More power to him. I don't like it so I have someone do it for me and I choose to spend the time I save in other areas. Same could be said for other hobbies like stamp collecting, wine (another hobby of mine), golf, bowling etc. We do it because we enjoy it.

Also, I'd be interested in knowing where they dine out for $20. It's been a long time since I've been able to eat a decent meal out for under $20.

I've dealt with people like that before...very annoying. Especially with bread. When I tell people how long it takes to make sourdough (or a properly cooked pork butt) they always say something like "you have too much time...I'm too busy for that" and on and on. I want to say "no, I have time for these types of things because I'm smart enough to manage my time, and I don't sit on my duff and watch TV at night as a hobby."
icon_razz.gif

I love people who actually do stuff! Seems like so many people's days are 1.wake up; 2. work; 3. TV 4. Eat dinner (with TV); 5. More TV.

Esoteric - confined to and understandable by only an enlightened inner circle

Kinda makes you feel special...huh?

Seriously though, not only is the food better (most of the time
icon_rolleyes.gif
) , but it's the process that makes what we do enjoyable and that's what many people don't understand.

Certainly, most of my family or friends wouldn't get excited at procuring a bunch of free cherry wood from an orchard nor understand why I tend to the WSM overnight while a perfectly good oven is less than 100' away that can cook food during the daylight hours.

That's why this site is so special. Where else could you say "I'm lookin' for a Butt Rub" and not offend anyone?

Nick, I'm sorry to hear you received such discouraging comments. While it is certainly easier (and sometimes cheaper) to buy food already prepared, there's a certain pleasure one takes by doing it yourself.

Personally, I'm frequently gratified by my friends' compliments when they partake in my Q for which I certainly take great pleasure in doing ... not only for myself, but my family and friends as well. I think one of the biggest advantages one has by preparing their own food is they can customize to their specific taste as well as suit their dietary needs.

Maybe you should find friends that can appreciate your fine and exquisite talent. ;-)

Nick, you just described my father. He doesn't understand how I can put so much time into food when all I have to do is open a can or throw something in microwave. I absolutely try to make everything by scratch when possible. One thing that comes to mind is making pies during the holiday. Pie making is a big PITA. It literally takes me around 5 hours to make a few pies by scratch and he just doesn't understand why I do it when I can go to the store and buy a frozen pie and throw it in the oven. At times I must say when I get responses like that I do think twice about making food by scratch but at the end I am glad I did it. At the end of the day you really can't do this hobby for others but rather for yourself.

Erik

How many people do you know that the food they eat is prepared by someone who has to do and finds it a chore (the meals taste like also).
There is a reason we have the Food Network.

Good food is an art, those do not get it may never get it.

Jim

Nick, I get three reactions, some are grateful, some are ambivalent, and a few are critical (of the waste of money and time). But guess who gets seconds and who doesn't
icon_smile.gif
It is a personal interest and we all have them, even if it's watching TV, so I try to take the attitude that maybe they have other interests and I haven't noticed what it is. If no other interests are apparent then I chalk it up to an absence of an inquiring mind. Rich

If there is anyone out there a little bit like me who has gotten lost in the fast and furious lifestyle to make a buck, the idea of committing time to make a meal would not have crossed your mind. Without any appreciation for the quality of the Q being served to me, I may have looked at someone a little funny if they told me they spent 12 hours to make a pork sandwich. Thank God I saw the light, or tasted the pork. Slowing down to learn to make meals for the family and learning to appreciate quality food has done us wonders. Keep on Q'n.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.... too many choices!
Gary

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Good food is an art, those do not get it may never get it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
True. And like any other art, those unfamiliar often need to develop an appreciation. That takes desire--and time. Many assume that since they 'know' food any sort of learning is unnecessary. Not true.

Though I am not questioned why I take the time and make the effort to cook as I do, I am sometimes questioned as to why/how I can spend $200 on dinner for myself. I am paying for the food, the art, the art of the food. Many of the country people I cook for near me did not 'get it' at all several years ago. But having had them over for dinner numerous times, and having cooked at their homes numerous times, and having, numerous times, explained what I do and why (in terms of approaches, flavor development, flavor profile, flavor interrelations), they definitely get it now. It takes time. It is not unlike learning why Monet, Kahlo and Warhol are artists, how their use of technique and materials made art, though their vision and results were unique, just as the tastes of those appreciating (or not) their art are unique.

Many people never see the art in anything, never notice the and appreciate the texture and color of the stone the architect chose for her building's walls because of the way it worked with sunlight; never appreciate the choices the designer made for his costumes for the dancers, how they enrich the visual experience of the dance; never appreciate the technique and the combination of flavors the chef chose for the sauce for his Kobe rib-eye, or why he chose these sides, these flavors, those textures.

Just as the skill/art of anything varies by degree, by level of sophistication, so too does taste/appreciation vary. Thus, just as the skill/art of cooking varies by degree and level of sophistication, so too does its appreciation. Understanding taste/appreciation of anything beyond the most mundane is a skill, no less a skill than that which the artist uses to conjure the art to be appreciated.

Neal, why not send those scoffers a copy of the great post you wrote (with pictures) of making bacon - I thought the post was great and I could really sense your feeling of accomplishment.

Some folks (mostly men) are helpless in the kitchen - it makes me feel good that I can take a big ugly brisket and make it into something delicious!

Ya know, my mother said that I have always like to
cook. Ever since I was a child. I guess your into it or your not. But when I tell people that I stay up until midnight to smoke a Butt, I get that look. You know, one eye brow goes up, the other goes down. Thinking, "Why?"

They don't mind scarfing it down though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimH:
Not only did I get the Why? from my family, they also didn't like it. Now I don't share. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tell them to go back to "Soviet Russia".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Seriously, though, I'm not sure it's worth the effort trying to reason with people that react like this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To me it is like trying to explain my haircut over the phone. People ask me why I would spend so much to buy a harley when I could go buy some other so called bike for much less. It is hard to explain the, why just get there when you can arrive attitude. One summer day I am cruising down a country road. Up ahead at this farm house I see what must be a hundred cars parked around. Then I notice the tables outside and lots of people eating and having fun. As I get closer I start seeing heads turn my direction. By the time I am in front of the place I notice well over half of them have stopped what they were doing and had their eyes on me. It may mean nothing to many, but to me it speaks volumes. You know they knew what it was by just the sound and stopped to take a look at my bike. American Iron. That is what it is all about, right there.

I can think of a couple of more analogies but you know if you aren't interested in my life experiences chances are you aren't going to get anything from it. If you feel you must get through to them you have to find out what they like to do and draw an analogy from that to what you are doing. But I think Chris's quote above says it all. If they can't taste the difference they aren't ever going to see the light.
icon_wink.gif

Back