Whole shoulder on a bullet?

Brad Morrell

TVWBB Member
Someone told me that they cooked a whole shoulder on a weber WSM.

I didn't think there was room for it.

Anyone here every done it...and if so...how?

Hmmm Brad well the only way that I would know of is to have the butt and picnic seperated, unless you found a way to *hang* the shoulder vertically from the lid with a hanger of some sort....with no grates of course. I dunno I haven't ever seen a whole shoulder up close and personal yet, so I am not sure how long they are...

Big Al

You might be able to stand it so that it sits on the lower rack with the butt portion on the grates and the picnic pointing upwards. It would make for a rather awkward cook. You'd be better off having your butcher cut the meat for you.

Brad, would this person know exactly what a whole shoulder is? I just got back from a local supermarket looking for a couple of butts for this weekend, but al they had was picnics. They were labeled "Pork Shoulder Picnic." Maybe he mistook one of these for a whole shoulder? Either that or it was an awfully small shoulder (unless somehow cooked vertically as suggested).

Russ, I just noticed you were from East Windsor. I live in PA, but I work on Q'bridge Road near Sloane, pretty close to the Congoleum building if you're familiar with that.
Kirk

I don't see it being possible going verticle either. Once it gets pretty much done, wouldn't it fall apart on itself due to the weight?
I guess you could wrap it in some chicken wire or something and then stand it?

Years ago (before pig producers started their every pig a big pig jag) you could get really small whole shoulders easily. You should still be able to get 16-18-pounders though. I can here. I used to get them with the jowl on (which was great) but I doubt they're available like that anymore; not here anyway. Propping it up in the WSM could be a bit tricky (I've not done one in a WSM) till you can see what you're getting but you can remove the shank if needed (or have the butcher do it). I used to do that when I was braising a half-dozen at a time and needed them to fit into large roasting pans.

Back