Whole Hog Cinder Block Pit Question

Dupree

TVWBB Fan
Gearing up to do a whole hog on Memorial Day. I am building a Cinder block pit and have some questions about air flow and constructing the top. (also this is my first time round with whole hog so any tips/lessons learned are appreciated).

Friend fabricated a pretty sweet grate as seen here

y052Vxc.png

zlaaRIU.png

(I just asked for some expanded metal framed with angle iron and 30" legs...that's what he delivered yesterday! It can be moved from 8" high up to 30" with 3 stops in-between). That same friend has a mind to take two steel drums, split them, flatten them out a bit, rivet them together to make an arched lid for the pit. And hence my question.

Most cinder block pits I see have no exhaust and, of course, a couple of sheets of flat sheetmetal or even cardboard as a lid. I assume in these designs that there are enough air gaps for the smoke to escape that an exhaust is not needed. And here comes what may be a silly question. However as Will have a single piece lid that is somewhat domed for smoke to gather in should i Have him add an exhaust vent? on either side? both? In the middle? Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

i will be burning down oak in an external burn barrel and shoveling the coals in under the hog for heat.

Last edited:
That custom pit grate is really cool.

If your friend has designs on cutting up a couple steel barrels if I were you I'd ask him to fabricate you a pit with them instead of using them to cap the cinder block pit.

For the cinder block smoke, the design of the pit is quite simple and you'd be fine using almost anything for a lid as you note. It won't be air tight. A vent in a domed lid might help with condensate and creosote, though. And a chimney or vent on one end with coals on the other end will provide a beneficial draft to help cook your hog.

If your friend has designs on cutting up a couple steel barrels if I were you I'd ask him to fabricate you a pit with them instead of using them to cap the cinder block pit.

Yeah def. something I would look to do with him in the future when I can compensate him for his time. But it's def. a bit more involved. (and I just met the guy recently). But he's certainly up for the task. I can see contracting him to make a reverse flow stick burner for me down the road.

At this point he's doing pro-bono work and letting his artistic side get the better of him (see the grate...) and he suggested that it would be simple enough for him to just cut up a barrel for a lid and I'm not going to stop him.

Thanks for the feedback, good point on the creosote etc. I expect/plan to put coals near each corner of the pit under the hams and shoulder's more or less.

Back