Whole Fresh Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Chavez

TVWBB Fan
My boss bought a whole hog divided into hams shoulders ribs chops and bulk sausage. Don't know the weight yet but he say's it is a relativly small one. Too much for him so he has offered to split the price and the meat with me. I know what to do with everything but the whole fresh hams. I have no experiance with fresh ham. Do they have enough fat to cook to 200 + or should they just be cooked untill slicable. Low and slow like a Butt or high and fast like a cured ham. As always thanks for the advice. Please advise as to finish meat temps.

Hi Mike, Chris has done a whole section on hams. I used it when I did my first they turn out great. The mustard and whiskey glaze is a ten! You should get everything you need from that section in 'Let's Cook'.
Dave

Mike,

I would cook a fresh, uncured ham at 275-300*F to an internal temp of 135-140*F. It's not going to benefit from low, slow cooking like a pork butt.

It will end up more like a pork loin in terms of meat color, texture, and taste.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks guy's high and fast it is. Working 7 day's a week so won't be able to cook for a while. I will let ya'll know how it turns out.

Did one for xmas. Skin off, scored the fat in a diamond pattern. Injected it with roasted garlic infused olive oil. Rub on the outside. Did it with no water in the pan at 300-320 to internal temp of 140 (or thereabouts, seems like long ago can't quite remember now) It's a LOT of meat. Invite lots of friends. Tasty and tender though! I'd have it over a pork loin any day, much more flavorful.

I don't know if brining will help much (unless you get into the realm of "I'm making ham" brining, as opposed to the usual 24 hr brining one might do with a turkey) because it's such a large and dense piece of meat. It probably wouldn't hurt, but IMHO you're probably just as well off to put a yummy rub on it and leave it at that, plus the injecting. Just my backyard weekend cook two cents.

<no witty signature>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back