White bread or bun

KenP

TVWBB Pro
I'm doing my first butts this weekend and wondered what you serve the meat on. I'm thinking white bread with sauce on the side if some folks want it.

I just think the purity of that would be great. Plus it's great for sopping up bean juice.

Having never done butts, I plan on doing two. Shouldn't that give me enough to have plenty of leftovers when serving 10-12?

Guests start arriving around 4pm so I plan on starting the butts around 8pm to eat about 5pm. Is that about right? That gives me 18hrs at 2pm, 3 hrs before dinner time, or should I wait and start them later?

Thanks for the opinions.

After me bringing in BBQ Butt for many years for my press crew at work... We just had this discussion last week. While everybody is a huge potato bun fan, we have settled on Kaiser rolls. The inside is nice and soft, while the outside is crisp, verses the potato bun which is more dense and hard on the inside. So when you bite into the Kaiser Butt sammie everything stays put, while the potato bun everything squirts out the sides.
icon_eek.gif
I know this really doesn't answer your question, but I really don't like sliced bread for serving Q on. Yes i have used it for myself/home use, but never for serving others and prefer it served on a bun. JMO
icon_wink.gif

Ummm, Kaiser sounds good.

Some say that with two identical burgers, the best bun wins everytime.

i never grew out of white bread. that being said, the bun seems universal. though around here it seems most stuff is served with a kaiser roll or the mexican version.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
Ummm, Kaiser sounds good.

Some say that with two identical burgers, the best bun wins everytime. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is alot of truth to that statement. I really dont use bread very often of any type with my PP, but that is just me. Im kind of burnt out on PP. I cook way too much of it and my freezer is getting full.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
what you serve the meat on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A plate.

Buns? Burgers and ladies, but not BBQ.

For those of you who might want to make your own Kaiser rolls, here is a good set of instructions:

How to Make Kaiser Rolls

Below, are some Kaiser rolls I made using a bread machine to make the dough and, then, by following the instructions above.
KaiserRolls.jpg

But, pulled pork on a plate sounds pretty good too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Below, are some Kaiser rolls I made using a bread machine to make the dough </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
D. L. excellent looking rolls.

D.L. -
How long have you been making Kaiser rolls? Looks like you have your technique down! Do you have any tips for someone making them for the first time?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gerry D.:
D.L. -
How long have you been making Kaiser rolls? Looks like you have your technique down! Do you have any tips for someone making them for the first time? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been making bread for over 25 years. My mother made a lot of bread. So, I had a bunch of observational instruction. We've gone months without purchasing any bread.

I really like to make Kaiser rolls for stacked, smoked roast beef sandwiches. I also like to make Hoagie buns, Brat buns, hamburger buns and hot dog buns.

The instructions for Kaiser rolls I linked to is spot on. It's surprisingly easy. Besides, if you make mistakes, you get to eat the mistakes!

Unlike most probably, I rarely make sandwiches with whatever I barbecue--maybe once every year or two. When I do it's definitely Kaisers (those look great D.L.!).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gerry D.:
D.L. -
How long have you been making Kaiser rolls? Looks like you have your technique down! Do you have any tips for someone making them for the first time? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gerry, I use the King Arthur Kaiser Roll Recipe in a bread machine on dough cycle. I do not use the shaping technique King Arthur recommends.

I use the Prepared Pantry How to Make Kaiser Rolls technique.

You want the dough to be fairly stiff (not very slack) as mentioned in the dough recipe. I roll out the dough on a very lightly floured silicone pastry mat.

That's about it. The biggest problem I have is getting poppy seeds all over the counter and floor...

90% of the time we use tortillas with pulled pork. I prefer corn tortillas but we do flour ones as well. With a little mango salsa and hot sauce it's hard to beat!

Clark

I actually like it on a seeded sandwich bun. The sauce won't soak through like white bread, it is not heavy like potato rolls, and I an not a fan of crisper outside of the Kaiser roll.

Then Kaisers it is.

My sis informed me she likes my BB's better than her husband's, so guess what else I picked up today...3 racks. Gonna be some good cookin over here this weekend.

Whe wife is going to make some slaw and cornbread, plus I'm sure we'll have some corn!

Damn, I'm getting hungry just thinkiing about it. Can't wait to fire up the WSM Friday night!
icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah, the Kaiser rolls are nice, when you can find some good quality that aren't dried out. I usually have to go with sesame seed buns.

Having a nice browned crust like yours in the picture has to bump up the appetizing nature of whatever you're serving.

Back