Which Big Box Store?

r benash

TVWBB Emerald Member
Didn't know where to post.

So I do use local butchers a good bit. But am considering Costco or SAM's club membership. Which one do you guys like better AFA meat quality and pricing?

After that - which is my primary for joining, any other factors that caused you to pick one over the other?

Ray

I belong to both Sams and Costco. Usually buy all my meat at Sams club.
icon_cool.gif

Windy City Smokers

i am a member of BJ's. my grandmother is a member of sam's so i have been there too. biggest difference in meats is BJ's doesn't sell whole packer briskets like sam's does. i hear all of costco's butts are de-boned though i have never been there 1st hand.

Tony is right. Costco sells their butts in double cryopaks and they are boneless. I will say though that after you tie them up, they cook great and I have not noticed much of a difference in taste versus bone-in. Just bought some on Friday for $1.39/lb.

Bob

So bone in or boneless butts. Does the bone really make a difference? I have always cooked bone in from butcher bought butts, so have no comparison. I would tend to think that given the size of the bone in comparison to the quantity of meat in the left in roast it would not make all that much difference.

Actually I have Costco, SAMS, and BJ's in about the same distance/circle. So it will be interesting to see what qualitative as well as price difference may have been witnessed from folks who are able to compare.

Any word on Costco briskets?

Ray

We belong to Costco however I've never bought a piece of meat there. I can always find equal quality for less at two local meat markets. And if I'm buying steaks they'll hand cut.

Boneless vs. Bone-in. In my humble opinion theres no difference in taste. Difference is in not having to hassle with tying the bone in product. Again, just my opinion.

I have belonged to all 3, and the only one I'm still a member of is BJ's. As mentioned they don't sell whole packers, but I love the quality of their meat, and they don't sell enhanced cryo vac meat. When I need a brisket I just go to Super Walmart and pick up a packer for $1.68lb. At my local BJ's, Bone in Butts, Picinics, Baby Backs, Spares, Whole Pork Loins, and Chuck Rolls are always in stock, and at great prices. YMMV

For what it's worth, if your local butcher is actually getting local, high quality, meat I would never go with something from costco or Sams. Just a little education I got from the meat book I received for Christmas.

That being said, I had a Costco membership that just ran out (thank God). I'm about to pick up a Sam's to see what they got going on. My local costco was garbage when it came to BBQ, and that's the whole reason I got the membership. The only thing they really had I could use was ribs. Sometimes they had brisket, usually not. Never had any butts. No unprepared turkey or ham. Nothing. Obviously this doesn't hold true for them all, but here in MD, just north of DC, it was terrible.

Folks - thanks for your input! Don't think I'll join any. Too many other quality sources around, I don't see where this gives me any other advantage.

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't see where this gives me any other advantage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't rule out a membership club just based on meat and I hope my comment didn't imply not to get a membership. We use our membership extensively for TP, soaps, cleaning supplies, Coffee, Olive oil, wine, liquor, vitamins etc. Other stores in my area cannot touch their prices on these items when I'm buying in bulk. Just so happens that in the meat department I have better local options.

PS Costco also saved my A$$ when my daughter changed her mind on a gift on December 23rd. Try finding a Nintendo DS two days prior to Xmas. Costco had several left. Also purchased a Wii and XBox 360 at Costco when they were difficult to find elsewhere.

Can't speak as to the meat at Costco or Sams, but I've never had a bad purchase at BJ's. The things you use every day can be had at substantial discounts as Larry mentioned. I save more than enough to pay for the membership fee without counting the meat I buy. IMO it's worth being a member.
Dave

i 3rd the usefulness for non meat items. especially if you are like me and use a lot of olive oil. the amount i save on EVOO darn near covers the cost of the membership.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert T.:
Tony is right. Costco sells their butts in double cryopaks and they are boneless. I will say though that after you tie them up, they cook great and I have not noticed much of a difference in taste versus bone-in. Just bought some on Friday for $1.39/lb.

Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
you can also just cook butterflied instead of tying them..they cook up just fine that way..
or just go to sams and buy em bone in..I prefer Sams for meat over any local sources

COSTCO, for great wine prices on mid level wines, my local wine guy said he just cannot compete. Steaks are usually superior to any other large chain store (and much less expensive - I do have a local butcher but he is quite $, very good but quite $). My Costco also occasionally has really good fresh fish. I also like their business model and they way they treat their employees.

we only have costco nearby for big box. we do have a smart and final a few blocks away were i get my packers. also a butcher a few blocks away which is expensive and to be honest we find the costco meat to be alot better. costco is alot more than just meat as others have stated.

I'm heading to my local Sam's tonight to check the selection for my smoke this weekend. I'm curious to see the selection.

I am a Costco fan. Their meat dept. has been most helpful in providing custom cuts of meat, including breaking down cryovacs.

There is very little difference between big box and big chain grocery store meat. They all come in cryovac. It is not like 15 to 20 years old when the big chains had beef hanging in their coolers and the butcher went back and butchered the animal. Now if you have a butcher where side of beef are haning in the cooler different story. I prefer to buy from Sams. As stated in another reply I can buy well marbled cuts of meat at marked down prices. I also get as good or better Spares, Baby Backs, Lamb from Sams than the chains.

Back