Where to place wood chunks to ensure a continuous burn

Andrew S

every time I use the minion method, I keep wondering how to spread the wood chunks. usually I put one chunk in the center in contact with 2 or 3 of the lit coals, ensuring a smoke from the beginning, but what about the other 2-3?
I'm never to sure where to put them to make sure they will be lit on time. Any suggestion on how/where to place the chunks to make sure they won't lit all at the same time and will continuously burn during all the smoking process?
One think that I thought of doing is to put the additional chunks in the bottom grate and use the service door to put then on top of the lit coals as the time goes by, Bad idea?

Thanks in advance

I will usually put 2 or 3 small pieces on the grate somewhere fairly close to the center before I pour in the unlit coals. Then when I make the 'Minion Hole' the wood pieces are right at the edge of the hole at the bottom. Kind of like what you do.

Then I'll bury 2 or 3 more somewhere near the top but further out toward the ring so they catch on later in the cook.

Experiment around a little bit. I'm sure there's several ways to do this.

Russ

I bury my wood chunks around the perimeter of the unlit and pour the lit in the center. I seem to get less billowing smoke and more thin blue smoke that way.

Andrew,

Welcome!

The first thing I'd say is that you absolutely do not need to have continuous smoke throughout the cook. In fact, that would probably make the meat over-smoked. I think for about 1 hour of good smoke is plenty for birds, around 2 hours for ribs, and maybe 3-4 hours for butt.

As for the location, a lot of folks bury some or all, others put them all on top. You'll see good cooks and knowledgeable people do it every which way. One thing I've noticed is that the smoke tends to be better when I use smaller chunks, say palm sized or a little less.

Anyway, have fun experimenting, and good luck with your budding addiction!
icon_smile.gif

so, there's no problem in lighting all the chunks at almost the same time?
I thought that would cause over smoke...

Andrew, smoke is an argument with many sides dependant on what you want in the end.
For placement of wood, regardless of what I'm cooking, I try and place it equally around the pit. That means at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 for 4 pieces. Basically, spread it out as best you can but don't sweat it.
For shorter cooks like chicken, use less wood still spread evenly over your lit fuel.
Cooking is intuitive and forgiving. If you really screw up, do it better next time.
In my opinion, grilling is the toughest cook to master. I can smoke a great butt but my wife can grill a better steak.
Ribs take 4-6 hrs, butts and brisket take double that plus. That allows for lots of room for trial and error.
Best advice is to not overthink BBQ. It was meant to make tough cuts of meat edible. Everything else is a bonus.
Finally, done is when it is done to your liking.

As someone much wiser than I told me a while ago, smoke it's ABSORBED by the meat... it's ADSORBED. This means that whether you add all your wood at the start or feed it over the cook the result should be the same.

Honestly I suggest adding at the start for simplicity. I tend to put about half the wood on the lit coals and then spread the balance around the outside on the unlit (using a minion start). Typically I get 1-2 hrs or "blue" smoke and it's plenty.

thanks. that definitely makes it look simpler then over thinking when the chunks would light up and for where to place
icon_smile.gif

Back