Where do you have your meat probe?

Phil V

TVWBB Member
Hi guys,
This is my first real post here. I have searched for the topic, and didn't see the results. Hopefully I won't get yelled at for asking this, if it has been asked before and I missed it.

Back on track:
Where and how do you support your meat probe on your cooker? I have a maverick probe (old school) that I rest on the front handle of the lid. Any wind and she falls.

I was thinking if using one if the fastener holes on the main body to attach some sort of collapsible plate to create a shelf...lacking in metal working skill, I need to find a pre-made part.

Does this seem like a good idea, or are there better solutions?
Is this even the right section to post this?

Cheers!!!
Phil

Phil V;
The probe is the part that sticks in the meat. I presume you are talking about the Maverick transmitter (the small white box that the probe wires plug in). My Maverick 732 has a wire bail (that doubles as a support stand if it is resting on a table). I hang it from the WSM door handle when smoking. If you look closely in this photo of my WSM (with my son attending) you can see the transmitter hanging from the door handle:

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Phil V;
The probe is the part that sticks in the meat. I presume you are talking about the Maverick transmitter (the small white box that the probe wires plug in). My Maverick 732 has a wire bail (that doubles as a support stand if it is resting on a table). I hang it from the WSM door handle when smoking. If you look closely in this photo of my WSM (with my son attending) you can see the transmitter hanging from the door handle:

Keep on smokin',

I like that idea!

I bought one of these. Phil, I'm like you in that I don't have metal skills.. Or wood skills... Or cement skills... I have what I think are good ideas, but never have the gumption to bring them to fruition. I do have Amazon shopping skills, if spending money is a skill?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00G3ZI0UI/tvwb-20

This works well for me because I can use it on any of my grills or smokers. The clamp on the no-tech end is really strong. The goes on one of the legs of the WSM. The "gooseneck" part is flexible enough to move and shape it now you want it, but stiff and strong enough to stay how and where you want it, even with the small weight of my Maverick 733. On the OTG I just clip it to the handle on the bowl, and make a big U shape. The only drawback I see is the clamp on the business end of it isn't super sturdy. Does well enough for the Maverick for now, I'm just not sure long term how it'll hold up. But I'll burn that bridge when we get there.

I'm sure the multi talented people on here could put something like this together for a lot less money, but on top of not having any skills, I'm pretty lazy, so I went with this.

I made a post I sit beside the cooker. When it rains I cover it with a jug that has the bottom cut out.

Last edited:
Wow...I just have to use my noodle to get a solution, as you guys did.

Thanks for responding and for sharing the info + pictures! The gooseneck is something I will consider, as I want to use it in competitions.

Phil V;

Keep on smokin',

HI Robert,

Do you have any problems with heat transfer to your transmitter from the firebox/door?

Phil;
>>>Do you have any problems with heat transfer to your transmitter from the firebox/door?<<<

Not at all. The handle never gets hot and that's the only thing that the transmitter is touching. I haven't had any problems with it at all.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53
:wsm:

Keep mine in a plastic box next to my smoker, also hold my guru. It keeps It waterproof. You can see probe cables coming through the elbow. It sits on a bucket with a box of nails inside for weight

IMG_0462.JPG

Back