When was the OTG Thermo Included

G Savrnoch

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello

Approx. when did Weber start including the lid thermo with the OTG? I'm looking at a OTG (used) that has no lid thermo. Seller says grill has little use and it's going cheap - it just doesn't have a thermo. Just trying to figure it's age. My gut tells me around 2009 but I'm not sure.

Thanks

Hello

Approx. when did Weber start including the lid thermo with the OTG? I'm looking at a OTG (used) that has no lid thermo. Seller says grill has little use and it's going cheap - it just doesn't have a thermo. Just trying to figure it's age. My gut tells me around 2009 but I'm not sure.

Thanks
Ask the seller for the letter code that is stamped into the top daisy wheel.
Then you can look up the kettle's year of manufacture in the database here on this site.

I believe the 2010 models had the therm but I can't say what the 1st year of the lid therm was.

I don't want to ask the guy anything..........i's at a price I just want to go grab it before he has time to rethink the price he's letting it go for ;). I will likely just stick my turkey fryer thermo in the top damper - just curious. Once I have it I will run the code and know for sure.

I picked up a new 'Green' OTG in 2012 that did not have a thermo. But, it did come with a premium cover in the box. Mine is a 2012 year model 'AU'.

However, it was 'REALLY EASY' to add a Thermo. I even found exact Weber Thermos online at Amazon.

I don't want to ask the guy anything..........i's at a price I just want to go grab it before he has time to rethink the price he's letting it go for ;). I will likely just stick my turkey fryer thermo in the top damper - just curious. Once I have it I will run the code and know for sure.

that is what I do, stick in the top vent. The thermometer I use has about a 4" stem I would like to find one a little shorter because it sometimes hits the food and that could make it inaccurate. However with the 4" stem when I take the lid off and hook it to the side of the kettle it's long enough that the thermometer somehow stays on, pretty cool. Buy IT!!!

So the OTG is home now and it's in good shape. It is an "AU" i.e. a 2012.

A few weeks ago a guy was selling his 2004 OTS with 3 bags of KBB for $55 (moving sale). I figure the charcoal (which I've kept) was about a $30 value which means I paid $25 for the OTS. Sold the OTS tonight for $65.00 putting me up $40.00. The OTG I bought for $60 but with the extra $40 from the OTS, the OTG cost me $20..........unless I did my math wrong :confused:

There's a few dings and scuffs, I think it spent it's life outside and uncovered beside a barn. Oh and another great part, the OTS I bought came with a cover which I kept and will now go on the OTG............I think I made out pretty well :cool:

Last edited:

Back