When to add wood?

Andrew T

I've been using my WSM since last fall and have had some great success but I wanted to confirm that I'm using wood correctly.

I've been putting a layer of charcoal briquets on the grate and adding 3-5 (depending on size) of wood chunks and then dumping the lit briquets from the chimney on top of the chunks and the unlit briquets . I then let it get to temp and wait for the smoke to die down to the blue smoke before adding meat.

My question is, should I add the wood as I detailed above or be putting the wood chunks on the charcoal once it's come to temp? I know there's no clear cut right or wrong way but I'd like to hear how most of you do this.

Thanks!

Welcome Andrew!

I generally add the meat right after dumping the lit coals. I do not wait for the temp to come up as cold meat will affect the time it takes to get to your desired cooking temp (think heat sink like a pan of water). Your sequence of adding wood is fine; there's no set recipe for it; I'd just recommend adding meat right away as it will be easier for you to adjust your cooking temp with all the factors (coals, meat, water, etc.) in play.

Paul

Andrew,
If you've had great success, then it sounds to me like you're doing it right! I think this topic will have as many opinions as any topic discussed on this site. Myself, I place the wood in with the unlit coals,(some deeper,some on top) apply the lit coals, and (here is where you and I differ) I then go ahead and place the meat on the smoker. No particular reason for this, (I wish I could I say that I have scientific research and many pages of data to back my method up) but its just the way I've always done it, with good results across the board.
Good Luck, and welcome aboard,
Tim

Andrew, I've used the method you've been using, but now I prefer to add wood around the top edges of the charcoal ring where not lit, after putting on the meat. This way, the wood will start smoking slowly and last a lot longer. (Since I usually cook a lot at a time, I also don't miss all that smoke in my eyes!) For long smokes though, I'll also bury three or four chunks around the outer perimeter.

I used to be more concerned about the quality of the smoke, but now I really don't think nasty smoke from wood is an issue unless chunks catch fire from opening the door or dome too early in the smoke, and then get left in the cooker to start smoldering, once the flame is extinguished from closing the cooker back up. (If I inadvertantly do that, I just pull the chunk out and toss it in my fire pit.)

A bit off topic, but regarding smoke, Kingsford "original" can make some nasty smoke at first, so I'd suggest waiting for thin blue smoke before putting meat on. Lately I've been pouring lit briquettes on top of lump, and I've noticed that if I dump "natural" briquettes (like Kingsford Comp or Stubbs) on top to start, there's really no waiting for clean smoke. It seems to burn clean from the get-go, (unless there's something burning on the surface of the pan or charcoal ring). However, since I've still got a bit of a Kingsford "original" stash I'm trying to use up, I tried lighting my lump with 3/4 a chimney last rib cook. Guess I hadn't used Kingsford original in a long time in my wsms, because, to my surprise, it took 15-20 minutes before the smoke cleared to my liking so I could put my ribs on the smoker.

Hope that helps,
Dave

I add wood chunks through the door after the Kingsford charcoal smoke burns off. If you mix chunks in my assumption is you wouldn't know when the charcoal smoke quits due to the wood chunk smoke. Sometimes if I have wood chips I'll wrap them in foil and poke a few holes and put them in through the door after charcoal smoke clears.

Andrew, I've used the method you've been using, but now I prefer to add wood around the top edges of the charcoal ring where not lit, after putting on the meat. This way, the wood will start smoking slowly and last a lot longer. (Since I usually cook a lot at a time, I also don't miss all that smoke in my eyes!) For long smokes though, I'll also bury three or four chunks around the outer perimeter.

I used to be more concerned about the quality of the smoke, but now I really don't think nasty smoke from wood is an issue unless chunks catch fire from opening the door or dome too early in the smoke, and then get left in the cooker to start smoldering, once the flame is extinguished from closing the cooker back up. (If I inadvertantly do that, I just pull the chunk out and toss it in my fire pit.)

A bit off topic, but regarding smoke, Kingsford "original" can make some nasty smoke at first, so I'd suggest waiting for thin blue smoke before putting meat on. Lately I've been pouring lit briquettes on top of lump, and I've noticed that if I dump "natural" briquettes (like Kingsford Comp or Stubbs) on top to start, there's really no waiting for clean smoke. It seems to burn clean from the get-go, (unless there's something burning on the surface of the pan or charcoal ring). However, since I've still got a bit of a Kingsford "original" stash I'm trying to use up, I tried lighting my lump with 3/4 a chimney last rib cook. Guess I hadn't used Kingsford original in a long time in my wsms, because, to my surprise, it took 15-20 minutes before the smoke cleared to my liking so I could put my ribs on the smoker.

Hope that helps,
Dave
Same here. The kingsford takes about twenty minutes to quit smoking. The Stubbs not as long.

I add wood chunks through the door after the Kingsford charcoal smoke burns off. If you mix chunks in my assumption is you wouldn't know when the charcoal smoke quits due to the wood chunk smoke. Sometimes if I have wood chips I'll wrap them in foil and poke a few holes and put them in through the door after charcoal smoke clears.

that's what I do too.

Thanks for the responses so far. I think I'll try adding the wood after the temp is reached and see how that goes.

I use the coffee can method and wait about 45 minutes for the temp to rise while letting the igniter smoke to stop. Then I'll add wood as needed.

Thanks for the responses so far. I think I'll try adding the wood after the temp is reached and see how that goes.

That's what fun about this forum and bbq'ing at home. Try different methods and see which fits you best. Some recommend letting the wood burn out completely so it is just a gray coal smoldering along. Long smokes I bury chunks to burn along the way. Ribs I generally have all my coals and smoke wood burned to gray, WSM down to temp before I put the ribs on.

I agree that there are many ways to do this. If it works for you who's to say it's not right.

I usually let the fire burn clean (TBS) before adding wood. That way I figure all the smoke is from the wood I added.

Back