what's wrong with the point?

Nicolas

TVWBB Member
the only two times that i've made brisket i just sliced up the whole thing with the point still attached. the more i read the more it seems like people don't actually do this. why not? why make 'burnt ends' out of it or chop it up instead of just eating the whole thing? it was so much more moist and tasty than the flat but maybe that was all just fat? am i missing something? do the burnt ends taste even better? seems like a lot of money to spend to not fully serve the whole thing.

i do it both ways. just depends on how i feel that day. but the grains do go in differant directions so that has to be taken into consideration.

I've done it both ways, with my preference being just taking the point and cutting it into those wide, soft slices. Some people tend to gravitate towards the point and sauce it themselves. Self-selection among the guests....

Nicolas, the point is my favorite part of the brisket. There are a couple ways to do burnt ends. The advantage is that you can cut the point into cubes, with or without the fat, add a bit of rub and sauce or auju and put them back on the smoker. They will carmelize and become little brisket candies, YUMMMMY! Try it you may like it.
Mark

alright, i think i'm going to try to make some burnt ends out of one this weekend. i had been slicing it in different directions as someone had mentioned above and it really seemed to be most people's favorite part. so now i need to compare.

Nicolas, there are many methods for madness, I hold my brisket intact for about an hour in foil. Then remove the point and put back on the smoker for an hour or so. Put the flat back in hybernation in foil. After an hour cube the point in about 3/4 squares, add a bit more rub and either auju or sauce. Mix and put back in smoker for 15-30 min. If you have been slicing the point with fat intact I would cube the point the same, otherwise you can remove fat prior to cubeing. Your choice.
Good luck, if it turns out really good give a holler, and I'll come a runnin!!!!!!

Mark

will do. on a separate note, did you happen to go to, or even participate in, the competition last month?

We competed in Placerville on the 1st, and Rib Stock a couple weeks earlier. We have done 5 KCBS this season. We currently are 5th in the Rookie of the year standings and 34/72 in the team of the year in the Calif BBQ Association.

I like the point better too. Maybe because I'm not cooking the flat properly. Anyway, burnt ends are a favorite of mine as well.

Back