What to do?!

Colby R

TVWBB Super Fan
I have to smoke a big dinner for my girlfriends family they're coming
Over Sunday but Sunday it is supposed to rain all day and Saturday very nice out but I don't want to be stuck at home all day... Smoke in my detached garage with door open Sunday or what do you all think?

I would not smoke in a garage...What about this little pop up tent deals? Living in the Seattle area it rains all the time, and I have to use one often, and it works well!

What are you smoking? I say just do it in the garage and make them an awesome meal. Have fun with it play some music, and drink something.

Where ever you run your smoker, make sure it is well ventilated area with a big opening to the outdoors.

-- Mache

What's wrong with detached garage with door open?
Suppose you could.
A nice byproduct will be the lingering BBQ smell in the garage.

Might want to run a fan to keep the air exchanging while you are cooking.
I would set up near the open overhead door so the fan can push the smoke out efficiently.

I ran a Totem smoker in a garage once.
The smell was there for months after the smoke !

Detached garage and you can hang out Saturday and start smoking very early sunday

Outdoors under a tent/canopy. If you do it in the garage, It'll permeate into everything (wood, drywall, cardboard boxes, clothing (in the boxes), etc.

Even a patio umbrella (without the table) set up beside it is better than the garage.

As good as wood smoke smells, I wouldn't want it 24 hr/day

Last edited:
I had a similar issue when it decided to monsoon in the middle of one of my smokes. I whipped together this:
IMG_20130524_184644.jpg

Worked perfectly. If you have an old umbrella, a few 2x4s and some ducttape you have a free tent.

Daum

Haha that's awesome but I just bought the house it's my first one so the garage isn't the biggest yet neither is the covered porch but I have plans for a bbq patio but anyhow not concerned bout smoke smell in garage it's just a small one car no power garage ... Just don't know whether to start Saturday night or Sunday morning

Just don't know whether to start Saturday night or Sunday morning
What's on the menu? If you're serving pulled pork you can always smoke it Saturday and reheat it Sunday.

I use my detached garage for smoking and grilling year-round, even in nice weather. It's a great shelter and if there are any squirrels in the walls (it's a pretty decrepit structure) the smoke really bothers them.;)

Depending on your timing you could start it overnight. But as for rain, just do the umbrella solution and you don't have to worry about it.

Daum

garage with door open on sunday....I do it whenever there is rain and no big deal, i just put the wsm as close to the garage door opening as i can.

Over a year ago, I bought a 8' X 5' "Grill Gazebo" from Amazon. It's actually manufactured under several different names and brands, but they are all the same. Given the fact we get 7-9 months of rainy weather in Seattle, some type of cover is necessary. This has worked perfectly for me for two rainy seasons . If you have a wood or composite deck, the legs can be bolted down for more stability and wind resistance. If you have just a yard, then tent stakes work well and it can be moved easily (weighs only about 50 lbs). The roof is also vented to eliminate a build-up of smoke. If you have just a WSM, there's room underneath for a few people, but if you've got a gasser, then there's probably room for just the cook.

Warning: This takes TWO people to assemble. Even the directions say this.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00FBP2ETY/tvwb-20

Like Brad, I smoke/grill right inside the garage when the weather is crappy. I store all my Weby's in the garage, so why move them out to a covered location if I don't have to?
Proper cross ventilation is the key. I have a mad-dog ceiling fan that forces any fumes out of the 16' door, and with the service door open and the side window, I don't have any issues.
Just me, but that's your call.

Tim

Back