What size garbage bag as cover for WSM?

Michael L

TVWBB Fan
I purchased a used WSM off of Craigslist earlier in the year, and it didn't come with a cover. I hear a lot of people use a garbage bag to serve as a cover.

My question is, what size should I get? The common sizes are 30 gallon, 33 gallon, and 39 gallon bags. I want something that is snug, easy to put on, and extends past the vents on the bottom. If you're using garbage bags, what size are they?

Michael,either a 30 or 33 gallon will do. You might want to add a bungee cord to help keep it on in the wind. I wouldn't go with the extra large bag. I think you would have a hard time keeping it on. I think I use a 33 gallon under my original cover. I hope this helps and enjoy your cooker.

Thanks Phil! I'm going to swing by the dollar store to see if they have any quality bags for sale. I'll look for ones with the drawstrings.

I use 45 gallon heavy duty trash bags over mine. They fit nicely and I use a couple of bungee cords around the bottom as Phil suggested. You can get them at Walmart and probably at someplace like Tractor Supply Co.

I got my WSM18 2nd hand. The original cover was in bad shape and I ended up tossing it. After researching covers, I ended up getting some Costco 50 gallon outdoor trash bags...

IMG_9136.jpeg

Big heavy duty contractor trash bag.
And then I put a cover over it.

That was, when I used to cover most of the time it sits on my porch and I don't bother to cover it

Don't know how well they will fit a WSM but I've used drum liners for covers and storage of things. They have the right shape for a 55 gallon drum - so more of a tall skinny bag, rather than a short squatty bag. You'd have to compare dimensions to see if they might work. Got them at ACE hardware.

Back