What Brand Hot Dogs?

Joe V

TVWBB Fan
While on vacation I ate some hotdogs from a street vendor which really had some SNAP to them and I'd like to find something similar.

What's everyone's opinion on which tasty dogs have a real crunch when you bite into them?

Originally posted by Joe V:
While on vacation I ate some hotdogs from a street vendor which really had some SNAP to them and I'd like to find something similar.

What's everyone's opinion on which tasty dogs have a real crunch when you bite into them?

My wife always gets the reduced fat hot dogs. Yuck.

The snap in any sausage comes from the casings. Most hot dogs are made and cooked in plastic casings which are then stripped off.

You might want to look around for dogs that come in a casing. Generally kosher dogs aren't in casings - the casings are not kosher.

The key is the natural casings and I also like the coarse ground wieners. My favorite is Schweigert, but I'm partially biased. They have my grandfathers original recipe (he used to own Tom Sawyer Meat products until the early '60's, and when he closed, he sold his recipes to Schweigert).

Specifically, look for Schweigert's "Old Fashioned Wieners". I believe WalMart carries them, as well as most regular grocery stores.

Bill

http://www.schweigertmeats.com...Casing-Weiners.aspx#

Originally posted by William Schmitz:
The key is the natural casings and I also like the coarse ground wieners. My favorite is Schweigert, but I'm partially biased. They have my grandfathers original recipe (he used to own Tom Sawyer Meat products until the early '60's, and when he closed, he sold his recipes to Schweigert).

Specifically, look for Schweigert's "Old Fashioned Wieners". I believe WalMart carries them, as well as most regular grocery stores.

Bill

Oooooo those sound really good!
icon_smile.gif

Agree with Bill, Nathans will give you that snap you are looking for. But at home I now buy Boar's head beef hot dogs, they are delicious, no nitrates, fillers, etc. They have a short experiation date so you have to use them within a few weeks.

Originally posted by Regina S:
Agree with Bill, Nathans will give you that snap you are looking for. But at home I now buy Boar's head beef hot dogs, they are delicious, no nitrates, fillers, etc. They have a short experiation date so you have to use them within a few weeks.

Snap-wise how are the Boar's Head? Lot's of good suggestions so far. I'll be picking up a few different packs of hotdogs at the grocery store tonight.
icon_smile.gif

Kayem Old Tyme Natural Casing Franks are popular in our house. Our local butcher has them and I'm pretty sure I got a large box of them at Costco for a crowd.....

Originally posted by Regina S:
no nitrates

Hot dogs shouldn't have nitrates anyway. But they definitely should have nitrites. Otherwise you just have grey spiced sausage. I wouldn't call it a hot dog.

I find that although they are not technically "hot dogs" or weiners, I prefer natural casing Frankfurters, and even better yet, those that have been smoked.

IMHO - Usinger's, a local sausage maker, makes all-beef franks that are mighty hard to beat. When grilled, they get nice and crisp on the outside / JUICY on the inside. These are about 3/4 the diameter of a Bratwurst (get some FAT buns), and have some garlic in them. Check-out the following link:

http://www.usingersdeli.com/br...t/link-products.html

Think of me as "Sam", and these as MY version of "Green Eggs and Ham"...
icon_wink.gif

If you're ever in / near the Milwaukee area, there are plenty of good sausage makers (many rural grocers make their own). But as for commercially-available products, give Usinger's a whirl if you get the chance.

Originally posted by Ron G.:
IMHO - Usinger's, a local sausage maker, makes all-beef franks that are mighty hard to beat.
I smoked 5 lb of Usinger brats with my butts and brisket yesterday. I had one for lunch and it was pretty good! (But the casing was a bit toothy.)

Sorry, I can't add anything to the hot dog discussion.

Sorry this is late getting back to you Joe, you have probably already gone to the store. the Boars Head don't really have too much of a snap, but they are good. Hot Dogs overall I guess are not that healthy, but hey I crave them, grilled and well done, but not burnt, with an ice cold beer. Nothing better on the golf course either!

Back