Weber Tiki torch repair?

ChristopherO

I live in Weber country in the NW burbs of Chicago near where the company was founded and have stumbled across some really neat finds at garage sales and estate sales over the years.

In the past I found a like new prototype Weber Smokey Joe from the first 6 months of production that I ended up selling to a collector on here since I wanted to make sure that It was in good hands that would keep it well preserved.

I've got three like new Weber bug zappers in the box in my basement.

But my latest find today was a pair of Weber kettle tiki torches. I walked up and saw them and asked the lady how much and she said 10 bucks for the pair. One was missing the wick and the wick holder assembly and I asked the lady and she said oh hold on let me dig in the garage and she pulled it out.

The good news is they both appear to be in like new condition. Only one of the wicks has a charring from being used.

The bad news is that one of them has had the adhesive holding the two bowl halves together fail and the other one seems like it's somewhat loose as well.

Since they're open and didn't come in a box I think it'd be nice to actually use them but I don't think it would be safe unless I properly adhere the two bowl haves together.

Does anyone have any ideas on the best type of epoxy or glue that would adhere the bowl halves together and be heat resistant and stand up to contact with tiki torch fuel?

The glue that's currently on The one that is in two pieces just looks like dried wood glue but I would assume it's something heavier duty than that.

I have a feeling if I call Weber support they're going to tell me that they're discontinued and not safe to use and that I should toss them in the garbage but they used some sort of glue or epoxy to seal them when they were new so I'm sure if I reseal them correctly they will be perfectly safe to use.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_20240503_171237389_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240503_171237389_HDR.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240503_171242280_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240503_171242280_HDR.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 11
I plan to fire them up as soon as I figure out how to make sure they're glued together right.

They will go well with the Weber candle lanterns I've also picked up for my collection.

Attachments

• IMG_20240503_174331243.jpg
    IMG_20240503_174331243.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 3
I know JB Weld makes an epoxy for repairing gas tanks. That or something similar may be the way to go.

I would probably try using them without any glue at first. Just fill them up until just below the joint, drop the top part on and light it.
See how it works for you and go from there.

There are oil resistant sealers that could be used. Look for oil resistant sealers for automotive use like Permatex "The Right Stuff".

Gerry

Back