Weber Starter Cube Question

Phil Perrin

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I needed a small item to get free shipping on Amazon,using the link of course! So I got some Weber starter cubes. My question is,how many should I use to get my chimney going? Thanks everyone!

I use one cube regardless of wether it's a 1/2 full or full small chimney or a 1/2 full or full large chimney. I used to use newspaper but I don't like all the ash flying around.

I use only one cube, also, but use an empty inverted tuna can to set the cube on then center it under the chimney. This places the burning cube higher up in the chimney for better efficiency.

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I use a similar idea to Robert but I just take one briquette and set the starter cube on the briquette. One is all I ever have to use.

Like everyone else, I use one cube. If I'm doing the Minion method, I use a tomato sauce can to put the cube on, flip the chimney and use about 10 or so briquets in the inverted chimney. Seems to work for me!

I most times use the gas igniter on a Performer for that task. But when I use Weber cubes I use two with the big chimney and one with the small one. Based on what others have said I might be wasting one when starting the big one.

1, I have seen other post where some use 1/2 cube and with the tuna can (good idea) that might also work. I have also used a half broken brick to achieve the same thing as the tuna can and either way helps especially if lighting on the kettle grate.

When burning Rancher briquettes (which are awesome but slow to start) I will use two cubes. When burning Lump I only need one.

Back