Weber Q on windy days

PeterGrath

I got the Weber Q for grilling on my roof top deck. It is almost always very windy here. The Q has openings on both sides, the wind seems to blow right through them and "cools" whatever is being grilled. Can I just put something into those openings to block the wind? Will this make the grill even less operable? What could I use - crinkled aluminum foil? Wind shields for camping cookers seem to be too low and flimsy (they would get blown away by the strong winds)

I got the Weber Q for grilling on my roof top deck. It is almost always very windy here. The Q has openings on both sides, the wind seems to blow right through them and "cools" whatever is being grilled. Can I just put something into those openings to block the wind? Will this make the grill even less operable? What could I use - crinkled aluminum foil? Wind shields for camping cookers seem to be too low and flimsy (they would get blown away by the strong winds)
Nope. Dangerous thing to do. Stops proper ventilation, and can actually cause flameout. Just turn the grill 90 deg and call it a day. Was just grilling on my Q320 last night. Very high wind cold temps. Simply turn it. But NEVER block venting on a gas grill

Yes, you can put some crumpled tin foil in the vents. But, you would be doing something that could lead to safety issues. Your best bet is to place some kind of barrier around the grill that will limit the wind hitting the grill while still providing adequate ventilation for the vents.

I usually turn it 90 degrees as Larry suggests but in tight quarters have resorted to putting a couple of bricks on each side shelf, not up so close as to block the air supply, like and inch away just to stop the wind from blowing directly in.

Back