Weber Genesis 330 restoration help

J Lee

hey all,

I bought a Genesis 330 in 2014 and used it weekly until 2017 when I fell into depression.

I’m good now, learned my diet and exercise routine and am back to my old self.

I wanted to start grilling again but my grill is in pretty rough shape after 7 years of neglect in Florida weather.

I have some surface rust at some welds of the frame, the cotter pins are rusted through. The chrome plating on the Weber plaque and the handle to lid connectors is largely flaked off, the stainless steel side tables have some surface rust.

I thought about curbing it and buying a summit, but then I saw 2024 grill prices…

So any tips on restoring this old grill?

J Lee: There are lots of threads and posts on restoring you grill in this forum. Your grill is likely very restorable. The big issues are the cabinets on that model of grill. If it is all just surface rust, you can grind, sand and repaint. Also, consider outboarding your LP tank. That helps. Bar Keepers friend on the SS shelves is a good tip. Also, Rustoleum Farm and Implement Massey Fergusen Gray is a great match for the gray cabinet panels on the grill.
As far as the chrome peeling off the handle collars, most people sand the chrome off and paint them black with Rustoleum Hi Heat Ultra paint.
You might be able to do that with the weber badge as well. But, always consider finding a donor grill that someone is pushing to the curb for free or very cheap, kinda like you were considering. Then use the good parts off it.
I think you will find that buying replacement parts for anything other than the grates and flavorizer bars will get expensive. That is where the actual work and donor grill will help.
Here is a great thread to get some good rehab info.

Hi @J Lee,

Bruce pretty much covered the restoration tips. If the frame rust is just surface rust, a little elbow grease and some paint will make it look great.

I blacked out the lid end caps and cookbox on mine. I also sanded the bubbling chrome from the badge and left it unfinished aluminum.

1713798664190.png

1713798701757.png

Hi @J Lee,

Bruce pretty much covered the restoration tips. If the frame rust is just surface rust, a little elbow grease and some paint will make it look great.

I blacked out the lid end caps and cookbox on mine. I also sanded the bubbling chrome from the badge and left it unfinished aluminum.

View attachment 89635

View attachment 89636
I think the unfinished logo looks better than the chrome plated. Only have to worry about the aluminum oxidizing over time but then can just sand it again.

The old style weber badges were exposed aluminum and they weathered pretty darn well. You can spray them with High Heat clear paint, but it tends to turn the bare aluminum to a whitish color. Some may like that however.

Back