Water Pan and Long Cooks

Vic

TVWBB Member
I'm sure there is a thread or an article on this subject and someone here will point me in the proper direction. I just completed smoking some ABT's in the 14.5". I filled the water pan with water at the beginning of the cook. The cook lasted around 2 hours with temps holding between 235-255. At the end of the cook, I noticed that the water pan was almost empty. I have read where cooks have been performed "overnight" for briskets and pulled pork. How does one maintain the water level in the water pan for these cooks without waking up every couple of hours to refill or is sand being used in these overnight cooks? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 22.5 that has done several overnight cooks. I do NOT use anything in waterpan. I do not foil the pan. As far as I'm concerned the pan is to distribute the heat evenly around the top of smoker.

If you have watched Harry Soo on You Tube he does not use waterpan. If it's good enough for the pros I can adjust to it

Pretty good bet that there not using water in the pan, There's no need for it once you figure your smoker out & that don't take but a few try's.

Most folks use alternative heat sinks, like sand or a clay saucer. I use some leftover patio brick because I had it lying around.

I still use water. It is unique, it that you can't get it hotter than the boiling point of water. A clay saucer or sand can get as hot as the charcoal. I really do see any use for that.

I can't imagine the water pan in a 14.5 holds much water. The original pans in my 18.5 hold about a gallon and only require refilling after 4-6 hours.

I don't use water either. I toss a half dozen crushed aluminum cans in the pan and cover with foil. Tomorrow night I'm going to do a couple of butts. Temps will be in the single digits. Sure don't want to waste energy heating water and keeping it hot.

I've been cooking waterless lately, just an empty foiled pan like Harry Soo. No need for an alternate heat sink in the pan. But water is a sure-fire insurance policy that keeps temps in the low & slow range, at the expense of using more fuel.

Vic, to answer your original question, when I've cooked overnight with water, I just filled it up at midnight, checked again around 3am, and again at 6am.

An article that may help: Using A Water Pan In The WSM

Thank You all for your advice and suggestions. I'm going to try a 9lb pork butt this weekend without water in the pan. Will see how it works out.

Back