Water Pan and Fire bricks

Don Dukes

TVWBB Member
I thought that I had seen this somewhere in this forum however I cannot seem to locate it. I have the stock Weber water pan and I cannot locate the 14" clay saucer. I have some old fire bricks from a past smoker (Bandera) and I was wondering how I might use those in place of water. Could I simply completely foil the water pan, add in a couple of bricks and then add a layer of foil on top of the pan with an indentation to catch the juices from the meat?

Thanks in advance.

Don you do not usually need the bricks for a heat sink. I rec. just placing a few small foil balls in an empty plan then covering with two layers of foil-leaving enough room to catch the juices.

My everyday pan is a piedmont pan-two brinkman pans with 1/2 inch space between.

I don't know which post it was but, I believe it was Larry Wolfe that said he foiled 2 fire bricks and placed them in his water pan.

I usually use the foil ball method. I'm starting to play with the Piedmont pan set up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Abrams:
I usually use the foil ball method. I'm starting to play with the Piedmont pan set up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you tried the 14" clay saucer? How did it compare to the foil balls?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I cannot locate the 14" clay saucer.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't either but did find, buy and use a 12" clay pot saucher. Works great. Don't imagine there is much difference in performance between the 12 and 14".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Abrams:
I don't know which post it was but, I believe it was Larry Wolfe that said he foiled 2 fire bricks and placed them in his water pan.

I usually use the foil ball method. I'm starting to play with the Piedmont pan set up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah Steve it was me. All I did was put the fire bricks I used to use in my Primo (now I use the D-plates) into the Weber Pan and then put a piece of foil over it. Same concept as with sand and works just the same. Here's a pic.

Back