wanted to try turkey this weekend...

Thanks for blanket tip, Len! I plan on smoking through the winter season, and the blanket tip may come in handy.
Make sure that's a WOOL you use and not a cotton blanket. Cotton has a autoignition point of 250 degrees, wool's autoignition point is > 500 degrees, but I don't remember the exact autoignition point of wool

Make sure that's a WOOL you use and not a cotton blanket. Cotton has a autoignition point of 250 degrees, wool's autoignition point is > 500 degrees, but I don't remember the exact autoignition point of wool

guess i been lucky then ;) Tks for the tip tho.

My wife had cooked Thanksgiving turkey since we got married. It is practically the only thing that she cooks, but she does it well since she took lessons from her grandmother. She used the buttered-brown-bag method in the oven.

Last year, I smoked a turkey on New Year's Eve with the specific intent of not eating it on New Year's Eve, but rather as leftovers the next day. I stuffed an apple, onion, celery, and bouquet of herbs in the cavity and rubbed with the Simon & Garfunkel rub (Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme with a little onion, garlic, and black pepper for good measure) and used apple wood for smoke.

Needless to say, her grandmother's method is seen as nostalgic, and smoked turkey is the way of the future.

Back