Vertical Turkey Roaster - need help with dimensions

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
I've looked around for a turkey-sized vertical roaster, but the largest one I could find only held up to an 8 pound bird. That's hardly a turkey, IMO. We always need at least a 14 pounder. A neighbor with ready access to materials and welding equipment has agreed to fabricate a vertical roaster to my specifications, but I'm not quite sure what the dimensions should be.

The vertical chicken roaster I have is about 10" tall and holds a 5 pound yardbird just fine. I'm sure it's not a linear proportion...if it were, I'd need a 30" tall rig! But I guess what I need is the length (depth?) of the cavity in a 14-16 pound turkey and how far beyond the opening the legs protrude.

So, anyone have a sizable turkey they could measure for me? Or know of a website that would have such information (I've only done a cursory search on the topic)?

To keep it as stable as possible, I'm going to have the base made about 15" diameter, so it should fit nicely inside my 18" WSM.

It looks like this thread took the route of TBE, that is what I use. Brine first and use the TBE, just what I do. I have also noticed other threads where people put the turkey in a roaster pan instead of vertical. Good luck

Back