Venison Roast

Mickey Murphy

TVWBB Member
Does anybody have any ideas for marinades for a venison roast I plan on smoking over the weekend. I have some that I got off line, but was curious of what everybody uses. I'll probably have like 3 days to play with as far as getting it in the marinade. Its defrosting now. I'm gonna marinade it and rub it and smoke it over apple or cherry(what do you guys think is better??). I'm pretty confident about the snoke, I just wanted to get it marinated properly. Thanks guys!!!

No clue sir. but please describe your smoke once you do it, and post pics if possible. I'm a huge fan of venison (generally white tail) and am wondering what its like smoked.

Thanks

do you have experience smoking venison? I have never smoked it but have cooked some, and have read various threads here. As we know, venison is very lean so it lacks the necessary fat to carry it through cooking it to tender without drying out. It seems like it is preferable to cook it like an eye of round, where it gets smoke roasted to a desired internal temp (135*) and sliced.

I was curious, when you said you wanted to smoke it, so I thought I'd check to see what your process is.

J Biesinger is correct, venison can get mighty dry if you smoke it at low temps, it is better suited for higher heat/quick cooking. You'll want to cook it just to medium (max) on the doneness scale, preferably medium rare for a roast. Take it off your smoker when it is about 5-10 degrees lower than you want it to finish and wrap in foil to rest for an hour if you can.
My wife and kids like a terriaki style marinade on venison although I prefer more spicy marinades. If you are looking to purchase a marinade at the store, the Lawry's Southwest Chipoltle (sp) is one of my favorites. If you're determined to smoke the roast, marinade it and wrap it in bacon first, that should help keep the meat moist.

Okay, Thanks guys. I do have it marinating in a Jack Daniels Teriyaki type marinade for a few days. I think I am gonna wrap it in bacon to see if that helps keep it moist. I've read a few things on it, so I figured I'd try it. I have some sugar maple rub that I'm gonna rub it with, then try it with Apple wood. I'm not sure if I can get pictures, but I'll defintley let you guys know how it comes out. I'm gonna do it Sunday, so watch for the post. Thanks again!!

I've done many roasts in the oven and since I only use the minimum of seasoning I'm very interested to hear how your experiment turns out.

Like it's said above - nothing past med. rare..

Good luck with this!

To 'keep it moist' don't overcook it. Though bacon can help prevent evaporation from the roast surface, what you end up doing is smoking the bacon, not the roast, the reason why I almost never wrap any meat in bacon. (If I want bacon flavor I include it in the sauce.) If you wish, baste frequently, which will help diminish surface evaporation as well. It's not required though. As long as the finish internal is kept on the lower side the meat should not be dry.

Thanks Kevin. That makes sense. I was wondering to myself the same thing, of how the smoke was gonna penetrate the bacon, so that makes sense. What temps were thinking for med rare?? 145??

Back