Upgrade to WSM?

anders

TVWBB Fan
Hi all,

I've been using my OTG for quite some time now and have had very good results from smoking in the kettle (ribs, chicken, lamb), but I've now started to feel that well known itch called weberitis...
So I'm pondering to get a WSM, but what are the real benefits to that over the kettle? Obviously will there be a lot more space and ease of use, but are there any other non-obvious benefits that I can tell my wife, since she will ask me why I need another BBQ.
icon_smile.gif

Before I say anything, I agree that the OTG works well as a smoker. I've produced some darn good Q using that method.

That said, in my opinion I believe the WSM allows you to expand and refine the process. The temperature control is much more precise and you can do larger quantities of meat in the WSM. One of the problems that I've had with the OTG is that I have to turn the meat at least a couple of times for even cooking. In the WSM you don't have that problem.

One other item is that the WSM works much better for the overnight sessions allowing you to get some sleep without getting up every couple of hours to add fuel.

Russ

Obviously like you said Anders, you'll have much more room but you'll really have a much better time with longer smoke temp controls. Having a flare up in the OTG is a lot different than having one in the WSM.

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Needing a WSM in order to be able to step up my Q game is a good enough excuse as any.

I just got a 22.5 and have only cooked on it 1 time, but I will say that it was well worth the money. I didn't have to monitor it nearly as much as the OTG and the temps were very stable.

Get it and don't think twice about it!

Tell her you will cook more food, and more often. Giving her more time to relax.

Wait a couple months before hitting her up for the bigger freezer, vaccum sealer, etc.

Dennis

Back