Unknown Hinge Position

Dave Russell

TVWBB Honor Circle
Just got my hinges in today, and the instructions say that the hinge should be positioned over a leg for stability. Does it make much difference? Anyhow, the pics of a 22.5" wsm has an Unknown hinge positioned to the side of the door. But unlike the 18" wsm, would it make just as much sense to position the hinge to the back, opposite the door, since it has a front handle? Any thoughts on hinge placement for each cooker?

Yes and yes.
I would for sure put the hinge on the very back of the smoker and make sure that one of the legs is right there under it as well. Without a smoker base of some kind it makes a huge difference for
stability. Once u install the hinge try it for stability and you will see.
Same thing for 18 or 22 WSM.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Yes and yes.
I would for sure put the hinge on the very back of the smoker and make sure that one of the legs is right there under it as well. Without a smoker base of some kind it makes a huge difference for
stability. Once u install the hinge try it for stability and you will see.
Same thing for 18 or 22 WSM.
Hope this helps.

Peter

Peter, it does, indeed. I'll put the hinge opposite the door on the back side on my 22 like your's, but will probably put it to the side over a leg on my 18 since it doesn't have a front handle. Thanks a bunch.

Dave you could mount the hinge wherever you want on the mid-section, just rotate where it falls over one leg on the charcoal bowl.

Tim

Dave you could mount the hinge wherever you want on the mid-section, just rotate where it falls over one leg on the charcoal bowl.

Tim

Yeah, I know. I just don't want the door ending up in an awkward spot after I get the dome opening in the direction I want.

Yeah, I know. I just don't want the door ending up in an awkward spot after I get the dome opening in the direction I want.
Yeah I get you. I consider my door as the front of the WSM, depends if you want it open front to back or side to side.
My lid holder holds it on the left side, just seemed more of a natural lift with me being a righty. But walk around the other side and it's reversed, so put it wherever feels comfortable.

Tim

Here ya go, and I couldn't be more happy with the UNKNOWN WSM dome hinges! I took my cue from the handle setups on both cookers. Here's my big bullet. Guess I'll have to start telling myself all over again, "If you're lookin'...

Just made the most sense to me to put the hinge over the right side of my 18" wsm since I'm a lefty.

As I said, I couldn't be more happy with the fit and finish of these hinges. Hopefully, I'm going to pick up a brisket and some ribs tomorrow!

PS: My covers still fit!

So, Dave how does it feel on the 18?
I can see a natural lift on the 22" with the handle in the front and the hinge at the back.
With the center handle on the 18 lid does it work as smoothly? ( It looks like it does)

Tim

Yep. It's very smooth, and you'll wonder why it took so long! There's only one handle on the 18, and that's still all you need.

Back