UK Charcoal Prices and Recommendations

RichardWhitmill

TVWBB Member
As someone based in the UK, one of the issues I have found has been sourcing good quality charcoal briquettes at a reasonable price.

My go to has been Weber's own brand briquettes which are consistent and have a long burn time. I've also tried Heat Beads for my latest cook and got to say I am impressed as they burn a bit cooler than the Weber briquettes and a little easier to dial in temps, burn a bit longer.

Not much in it but have to be ordered online and prices I have paid have worked out at
Weber £2.37/kg (approx $1.35/pound)
Heat beads £2.10/kg (approx ($1.19/pound).
This is a lot more than over the pond as you can see in latest pricing list on this forum. I think that's always going to be the case as BBQ isn't so big over here and not a huge market for it.

Thread 'Historical Kingsford Original Charcoal Price List' https://tvwbb.com/threads/historical-kingsford-original-charcoal-price-list.58501/

At the other end of the market and in most shops the options tend to be lumpwood or that awful instant light stuff. You can get Big K briquettes cheap, not sure on quality.

I want to take a look at some options and am going to do some experiments this summer and keep a spreadsheet.

So would welcome some feedback to give some thoughts, maybe even make a list like the one above. Anyone in the UK invited to post about brands they use answering

• What brand is it and where did you buy it?
  • Date of purchase
  • Size in kg and price
  • How would you rate it and any detail
I will also post as I go mainly for my own record!

Back