Two birds on the 18.5

Randy Smith

I was only planning to spatchcock a 14 lb. bird, but I now have a few extra people coming, so I'm going to cook an 11 lb. one, too.
I guess I'll have to cook both birds whole. My question is, should I put the bigger bird on the top or bottom rack?

You may want to check your dimensions...... I just put a spatch'd 13#er on the kettle --- using my bottom 18WSM rack under the bird for ease of rotating the bird --- it would be difficult to get that on the WSM without tenting/trussing it up somehow.... It definitely over hangs.

On an off note ---- KILLER idea to use the WSM rack as a secondary grate on the kettle! I even put some wood chunks between to get a bit more distance from the coals.....

20231121_145734.jpg

Last edited:
And just some final shots....
20231121_180345.jpg
20231121_184639.jpg

So --- spatching on the kettle worked pretty well for the first try.... but I think I'll keep to spatching chickens on the kettle and do the turkeys on the WSM. I'll plan to do a 'half spatch' and just remove the backbone -- not flatten -- probably put a chunk of wood to hold the cavity open to speed cooking. There just wasn't enough room to rotate the bird for even cooking without it getting too close to the coals on the kettle. And its obvious that a spatched turkey (unless it is REALLY small) is NOT going to fit on the 18WSM nicely.

This cook was a learning experience.

Last edited:
And just some final shots....

So --- spatching on the kettle worked pretty well for the first try.... but I think I'll keep to spatching chickens on the kettle and do the turkeys on the WSM. I'll plan to do a 'half spatch' and just remove the backbone -- not flatten -- probably put a chunk of wood to hold the cavity open to speed cooking. There just wasn't enough room to rotate the bird for even cooking without it getting too close to the coals on the kettle. And its obvious that a spatched turkey (unless it is REALLY small) is NOT going to fit on the 18WSM nicely.

This cook was a learning experience.

Here's my 20# turkey on a 18" WSM:
PXL_20211125_181553047.jpg

Can just see I didn't truss the legs, so got a little singed but otherwise fits.

Back