Turkey Breast Question

JRAiona

TVWBB Gold Member
I'm plaaning on doing a turkey breast. I was planning on cooking at 250 allowing about 30 minutes per pound and cooking to an IT of 160. Does this sound about right?

Last edited:
I'm not an expert at cooking turkeys. But, I think I would focus on internal temp. Go ahead and use whatever temp you want. But, keep an eye on temp and pull it when it's safe.

That's my rule of thumb for pretty much all of my cooks, with the exception of tough cuts such as ribs. Tough cuts cook to tenderness, not temp.

Thanks Darren. That's pretty much the way I cook as well. I just always like to have a time frame as a guideline, but I do rely on the IT as the true gauge.

There seems to be a move towards a lower internal temperature for juicier turkey breast. I see 155 being recommended, with the idea that the breast will continue to rise in temp as it rests. Anyone have advice on a bone-in breast temp?

Anytime I do a turkey I shoot for around 165° for the breast and 170° for the drummies and after 30 minutes on a covered rest the meat is still nice and moist.

I have a 7.5 pounder going right now. I started smoking it 2 1/2 hours ago, but the internal temps are not past 150 yet. I propped the door open 30 minutes into the smoke, and I finally got the smoker temp up to 325. I'm wondering if a kettle grill would do a more efficient job here.

EDIT: I just pulled the breast after a reading of 160° at the 6:00 pm mark and placed the turkey in a heavy covered pot to rest a while. I'll post back after I taste the meat.

Last edited:
The turkey breast did fairly well in my opinion. It had a nice smoke ring, and smoke flavor was pronounced throughout the meat, but I made two mistakes...

1) I sprinkled Tony Chachere's creole spice on the skin, and the meat came out a bit too salty for my taste. Next time, I'll use a reduced-sodium homemade rub, or just use McCormick's Montreal seasoning (65mg of sodium per tsp).

2) I injected fresh pineapple juice into the breast. The pineapple flavor wasn't too bad, but the enzymes in the juice actually melted/dissolved the breast around the injection sites. We literally had to wash this residue off under running water. The member who touted this kind of juice as a tenderizing agent for pork wasn't kidding. It actually works - although, I would recommend canned pineapple juice the next time for poultry since canned juice has no such tenderizing enzymes.

I hope this experience adds to the thread.

I usually do them on the Performer. Cook to 160, and toss a single small chunk of Pecan on the fire. Only takes an hour or so, cooked indirect.

I cook Turkey breast all year and usually between 7.5 to 8.5 lbs. I smoke them in WSM at 225-250 for 1.5-2 hrs until the internal temp hits 130 then I open up the vents and let the temps rise for crisp skin. I put the meat probe for the Maverick remote therm into the breast tenderloin until it just touches the bone and then back it up 1/2 inch. I pull when the tenderloin is 160. I'd pull it at 150 if holding in warmer for a while. Rest it solid 30 min before cutting the entire breast from the bone and slicing it.

Cooking time is heavily dependent on temp and size of breast and how cold it was when you start. If the breast is frozen down at the tenderloin you'll get pink meat inside and dry meat outside. Key is to use the temp probe in tenderloin. I've done dozens of these and sometimes I'm surprised the tenderloin is starting at 39 degrees so I'll keep the starting heat lower and cook longer. But I've also slapped these on the weber kettle and run them at 375 and they come out great. If the tenderloin is super cold/almost frozen take it off at 150 and you can reheat the pink tenderloin without drying out the rest. BUt the butter under the skin keeps it really moist and I think it is almost self correcting.

I use the same method but much less cook time for half breasts when they go on sale.

I don't inject any more. Tony C's is way to salty. I mix my bird rub with softened butter and work it under the skin all over the breast meat. I rub the skin with olive oil and put more bird rub on it for color. My bird rub is like tony c without salt and some ground poultry seasoning. Sometimes I'll use softened butter with sage or rosemary under the skin for a non-bbq vibe.

I like small chunk of Pecan for turkey.

I smoked six chicken legs today (on my 18" kettle grill - indirectly, with water), and I coated them with SLD (slap-yo-daddy) rub, and they were sensational.

I'm seriously thinking about using this rub on, two, 14 pound turkeys for thanksgiving. Does that sound like a winner?

Last edited:

Back