Turkey breast question

JB

TVWBB Member
Hi everyone- I just smoked 4 bone-in breasts in the WSM and after 2 hrs all were in the 165-175 range. Problem is the skin is almost the same color as it was when I put them in. I've smoked breasts a few times and this is the first time this has happened.

I used some inexpensive brined breasts from walmart - I believe 12-15% solution. I also used Royal Oak for the first time. I imagine the problem comes from the breasts I used but wanted to see if anyone else had run into this before.

It's not a big deal since I'll be taking the skin off. The meat if so party sandwiches next weekend.

Thanks in advance.

JB

Hmm. I've done the TB ovar RO lump&briqs and have always gotten some nice color with just a kiss of smoke-wood.
Never tried the WW ones tho.

Tim

crispiness of skin is usually related to temp you cooked @.

Boost up your temp and you skin will be nice & crispy.

Hmm, I don't think the OP was worried about a crispy skin, just a lack of a decent color which you should get L&S or the HH..

Tim

you might want to check your thermometer in freezing & boiling water.... pasty poultry sounds fowl!

Still not sure what happened. As I mentioned I've smoked turkey breasts several times and the skin has always browned nicely.

Afterwards I tested the meat thermometer in boiling water and it's accurate.

Use any smoke wood? Lump burns cleaner than K blue bag, and if using the MM there's just not enough smoke to amount to much without any wood.

Another thing is that if you've brined before with a sweet brine, the sugar will help it look smoked.

If you used "just a bit of oak" and didn't do a Minion burn I'd guess that the oak burnt up too quick.

I ALWAYS start with some unlit, even it's a short chicken cook with the "chimney in the middle method". I start by filling the better part of a chimney and lighting. While it's burning, sit it in the middle of the ring and then just enough unlit poured around it to cover the bottom of the ring...three wood chunks around the perimeter of the ring.

Smoking a grate of leg quarters, I got 300* right off the bat with the door shut last saturday, even with water in the pan. Maintained 275* for the whole cook, and I think the key is not having any unlit underneath the lit to make it easier to maintain the temp. I like 275* for smoking chicken, but with a normal MM burn I have a hard time smoking over 250* with water.

I love Alder on poultry. Nice golden color with a musky type of flavour which IMO works.
Someone suggested sassafras (Dave?) I have some of the pellets which will be on my next smoke.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
Use any smoke wood? Lump burns cleaner than K blue bag, and if using the MM there's just not enough smoke to amount to much without any wood.

Another thing is that if you've brined before with a sweet brine, the sugar will help it look smoked. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What Dave said. Bring the wood. I used 1 oak and 3 hickory chunks for these:

2eutyfn.jpg

Good Luck!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timothy:
I love Alder on poultry. Nice golden color with a musky type of flavour which IMO works.
Someone suggested sassafras (Dave?) I have some of the pellets which will be on my next smoke.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tim, sassafras is a really unique smokewood, and so far I've only used it on chicken. Fantastic wood for anyone to try that thinks there's not much to using different woods. The smoke lasts a little longer than fruitwoods, obviously not as long as nutwoods.

Tell ya what those pellets would be really good for, though. You might try the sirracha (sp?) wing recipe on the kettle with the pellets in a tuna can or foil pouch. Rita posted really liking that as well, if I'm not mistaken.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I ALWAYS start with some unlit, even it's a short chicken cook with the "chimney in the middle method". I start by filling the better part of a chimney and lighting. While it's burning, sit it in the middle of the ring and then just enough unlit poured around it to cover the bottom of the ring... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave I've never heard this method and I'm going to try it. If you let the chimney burn in the middle of the ring with unlit around it, won't the unlit catch from the chimney? When the chimney is fully lit do you just upend it in the center of the ring?

Back