To foil or not to foil baby backs??

Larry B

TVWBB Member
Hey everyone,

i have heard so many different opinions on foiling BB or not foiling them. Which is better? I have heard if you do a 3-1-1 method they will come out great. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

More often than not I'll foil bbacks, just NEVER for an hour.

I prefer to foil for maybe a half hour.

Sometimes I don't foil at all though, just depends.

i have never foiled before either, so last weekend I tried it. I cooked for 2 hours foiled for 2 hours and then cooked for another hour or so. They came out perfect. temp was 225 for just about the whole cook. Give it a try and see what you think.

The 3-1-1 routine has been working pretty well
for me. It seem like the foil helps to keep
the ribs from getting too dry. You could always
try 2 slabs, one with foil, and one without and
see which you like better.

I agree with trying a rack each way. I find that foiling gives a more consistent end result but I usually do not foil as I usually throw them on and go to work. Just remember that once they are in foil they will cook up considerably quicker so check them every now and then until you get them to the consistency you like, whether that's 3-1-1 or 3-2-1 or whatever.

Clark

Nothing stupid about it.

You've got it perfectly.

You may also want to put them over some high heat at the end to carmelize the sauce on if you choose to use any.

Clark

i use to never foil and had mostly good ribs and some that were just ok (at my own fault through experiments) the first time I foiled them and added a little honey and little little water and juice and man to me in my opinion that the way to go. like everyone says and knows best def. try both ways. Also great idea using a glaze which I also like clark said. I'm kinda impatient sometimes and got in the habit of using the gas grill for that. I like them on high for not long at all, maybe 40.. or so seconds... till bubblin and lookin hot then I yank em off, Yes have burned em before and got to crispy, easy on that. haha its all so fun.

Good Morning everyone,

What a great forum this is! Thanks for all the great information. I think I am going to try what Bob H suggested and do 1 racj withy and 1 rack without foil.

Best Regards,

Larry B

I never foil and find that they turn out great every time. I use water in the pan so I am not sure if that has an effect. When I caramelize the sauce over high heat I just use the top grate and place it directly over the coals. It works well, you just have to pay attention or the sauce will burn.
Lance

I do foil.

3.5 hrs no foil then 1 hr with foil...then 15 mins on direct heat with sauce.

I foil with apple juice, vinegar, water.

220F temp

I usually foil, but like everyone else...no more than an hour. Will remove from the foil and put the sauce on the ribs for the last 30 minutes. Last time I did BB, I didn't put water in the pan and they turned out great...temp held around 230.

It depends on the cook I think foiling may speed up cooking and help tender up the ribs. I agrree about an hour is long enough.

Back