Thoughts on a Brisket Flat

Brett Fields

TVWBB Fan
Three days ago I bought a brisket flat at BJ's, rubbed it, put it in a Food Saver bag, and tossed it in the fridge.
Today I put it on my WSM 22 at 250 degrees, the meat was almost room temp, Comp K, 1 large chunk of cherry.
At 160 degrees I foiled and bumped the temp up to 275.
After a total cook time of around 6 hours, I pulled the brisket at 190 degrees and put it into an ambient temp Cambro to rest for an hour.
I didn't put a tray of boiling water in as I do when I'm trying to keep food hot.
Over that hour, the meat went up to 194 degrees, then fell back to 184 which is when I sliced and served.
All in all the brisket was tasty and edible. It could have been a touch more tender though.

So how do I get this more tender? I'm thinking my choices are leave the temp at 250 after foiling and cook longer, or don't foil 'til 165 and pull at 195 or 200.

All opinions welcome.

Thanks.

PS - this is my third cook with my new DigiQ DX2. Awesome little piece of hardware!

Last edited:
You simply need to cook it longer to increase tenderness. Try pulling it at 203. I'd keep the temps consistent and try for 275. When your meat stalls you're losing moisture.

Thanks. A few years ago I did a brisket flat that I subsequently turned into a hockey puck. I guess I'm being overly cautious.

Last edited:
Cook it until it is tender, not to a temperature. Then when you take it off, vent it for 10 min or so to let heat out some so when you cooler it it will not continue to cook. Cooking to a set temp is even harder to judge when foiling as the foil give false readings. Next time you cook foiled, lets say you cook to 190. Then while still on the smoker, open the foil and in a minute or so you will see the temp drop because you let the steam out giving you a false reading.

people say the temperature is less relevant (to the upside, in my experience) when the meat is foiled. Like Alan & Jeff both said, cook till tender. When you foil you shoot past the stall but a lot of stuff still needs to render....which it will, but it's not at the higher temps as long as if it'd gone a little lower & slower.

When you think tender, think jiggly or think butter with a hot knife. That's what you want whether it be 195, or 200 or whatever.

I hate to say it, but I think the easiest way is to just go for the whole packer

Maybe, but good looking flats are all over the place. I get my packers from my butcher who has to order it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who browses the meat section at BJ's, Costco, or whatever warehouse store is around just looking for inspiration. ...or am I?

Back