Thinking of huge charcoal grill

Jamie Mathews

TVWBB Member
Hi guys. I currently grill on a Weber 26.75 inch kettle, and love it. However, between family, friends, and kids' friends who are always over (we have a pool), it's pretty common to have to cook in batches, because it's not enough space.

I was kicking around the idea of a Weber Ranch kettle, and then stumbled upon the Tiernan Son of Brisket charcoal. Looks huge, pretty well made. If this link works, there is a 10 minute video where you can see how it's put together, and then a cooking demonstration.

What do you think?

http://www.shopperschoice.com/...t_140.html?item=6236

Me, I would prefer a Ranch. I didn't watch but a minute of the vid but, while the 48-inch length seems impressive, the depth (front to back) is limiting, imo. Round grills, imo, are much more useful because they are so easy to set up for grill-roasting or smoke-roasting. I grill-roast, i.e., cook meats on a grill indirectly, far more often than I grill directly. Round grills have the versatility that rectangular grills do not.

I would go for the Rancher because of accessibility (360 degrees, whereas the S-O-B seems to have a depth restriction.

The ranch would be nice to have. But if you already have the 26" kettle, you could add another 26" or 22" kettle for much less money than the ranch, and probably have all the grilling area that you need. Weber made a 48" kettle for the rental market years ago that would be great to have, but is almost impossible to find now. It made the ranch look small. Now about the one in the video. No Thanks. That guy needs to get some color on those pasty legs before he tries to sell grills on video.

Well as bob stated a cheap alternative would be another 26" or 22".

But i would just love to own/cook on a ranch they are HUGE.

Wolfgast, I hear you, the cheapest alternative would be another 22". But I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest, I'm looking for the most effective and most fun (for me!) alternative.

There's another higher-end, large charcoal grill called the Cajun Grill. You can get an optional outside firebox for smoking.

If I spend that kind of $$, I'd probably (not certainlky) sell my Weber 26.75, which I just got this May.

My wife was a little skeptical, until I told her that every meal I cook outside, is 1 less meal that she has to cook inside, and I could see a lightbulb going off over head. Those were magic words.
icon_biggrin.gif

Oh ... fun for you alternative?!

Yeah, for that kind of money, you should consider a 'real' grill.

For $795 you can get a 20"x42" dual-shelf Klose grill.

See if there's a custom builder in your area and see what you can get for that kinda money.

Totally in agreement with Kevin Kruger...
and you do not have to buy new, there are plenty gently used Weber Rancher out there on CL and such... I'd stick with Weber
icon_smile.gif

not impressed. its very near to a char griller which is a lot cheaper and they last a long time also. either that or another 26 or a rancher would be a better choice.

Jamie, Robert Clark has a Rancher for sale. If you decide to sell your 26 please let me know. Thanks

Back