Thick Jerky Smoking Modifications

tjkoko

TVWBB All-Star
The other day I was in a hurry to start smoking some beef into jerky and so the bottom round was trimmed and sliced without pre-freezing. Pre-freezing prevents the meat from buckling under the weight of the slicing knife. With the beef at room temperature, slices measured 1/4 inch in thickness and weight 6.14 pounds overall.

Once placed onto both grills, the slices covered them in their entirety. There was no open spaces separating the slices; they butted up against one another and the smoke lasted 5 hours at 145F give or take.

Once finished, I noticed that some of the meat was undercooked as it were and much of the fat remained in between the grains of meat. Way too moist to be considered jerky, the meat seemed 'cooked' halfway between steak and jerky itself.

After allowing the quasi jerky to cool and emit moisture for 12 hours, it was placed onto the grills of a freshly prepared smoker and were given an additional smoke of 150F for around three hours and now things look just fine!

The conclusion here:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI>The thicker the raw sliced meat, the longer the smoke session. Plan on smoking for seven or eight hours for meat that's been sliced around 1/4 inch thick.

<LI>On the grill allow some empty space in between the slices to improve circulation of both heat and smoke.

<LI>Use no more than let's say 5 1/2 pounds of fresh trimmed beef slices to prevent crowding of the grill. [/list]

Best,
-T

The final product resembled all of my previous batches with the only exception being the thickness of the strips. Sorry for the disappointment of no piccies! <8S

HEY! I love beef Jerky. Would love to try to smoke some this weekend.

Any additional tips for a first timer?

What kind of meat did you use?

Did you marinade it or just season it?

After slicing, do you just dry it in the fridge on sheet pans?

It looks like you did 2 separate smoke sessions at 145-150?

Any tips for keeping the smoker that low for that long?

How long start to finish at 145 for 1/4 inch pieces?

ANY INFORMATION AT ALL WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!!

As a first-timer you should keep your strips at 1/8 inch thickness just to get the feel of jerky making. At THAT thickness, smoke at 145F for FIVE HOURS and no more. After a few smoking sessions you'll get the feel of what the jerky should look like when done; it'll be at that point that you can make thicker jerky with adjustments in the smoke time.

If you're using the smaller smoker, at 18 inches in diameter, the quantity of BOTTOM ROUND BEEF, trimmed, should not weigh more than about 5.5 pounds. At 6 pounds the grill will be too crowded to allow for the heat and smoke to free-flow in between the strips.

And I use the dry seasonings made by Hi Mountain of Wyoming, real seasonings from cowboy country and made with a real southern flair.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by a palombo:
HEY! ...

It looks like you did 2 separate smoke sessions at 145-150?

... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes!!!! After about 5 hours I removed the meat from the smoker and allowed it to air-dry for about 24 hours. Then I smoked it some more for another 5 hours or so.

Jerky is very forgiving. All cultures on our planet utilize a concept of meat drying. Just hang it out on the line to dry [EDIT] like they do in Alaska and the Caribbean.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back