Thermometer readings higher at grill than dome

John Amarante

Hello all! I've been stalking these forums for a bit, finally bought a 22.5" WSM and have it going with some ribs for my first smoke.

I have a foiled water pan with foiled 16" terra cotta clay saucer.

I used about 100 briquets of K with a few chunks of smoke wood. Dumped a lit chimney of about 50 on top of that and waited until temp was near 225.

I've got about 12 lbs of baby backs split between the 2 racks.

I am using a Maverick ET-732 to monitor temp at the top grill level and that is reading about 15 degrees hotter than the dome thermometer. My understanding is that it should be exactly opposite what I am experiencing. Anyone have any ideas? I plan on doing the obvious, which would be to check them both against other thermometers I have.

For now, what temp would you target? Avg both? I plan on rotating the ribs between the racks at about 2.5 hours, and plan on cooking for a total of 4-5 hours.

All help/suggestions are welcome.

None of the above. It absolutely does not matter.

Cook till the ribs are tender, not by time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I am using a Maverick ET-732 to monitor temp at the top grill level and that is reading about 15 degrees hotter than the dome thermometer. My understanding is that it should be exactly opposite what I am experiencing. Anyone have any ideas? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Other threads refer to the same issue. Mine reads higher at grill level than at dome. Others the reverse. As Kevin says, check by reality, not by time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Amarante:
My main question is which temp gauge to believe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi Joe,
Welcome to TVWBB.

Kevin's comment is well taken. You need to cook until the meat is done. As you gain experience with your WSM you will learn how the temperature readings tend to affect how soon the meat is ready to take off.

I also control air flow at the bottom grates to maintain a temperature I think is desirable. I do find that the dome tends to read lower than the grate while others experience the opposite. I suppose that may be due to the placement I choose for the probe at grate level. 15° is not much difference.

I watch the temps to make sure that things do not get out of hand, but I don't get too concerned if the temperature is not exactly where I want it as long as it is not cooling to the point where I need to add more fuel.

best,
hank

Agreed.

Either one you can watch. I look at lid vent temp because I think it is more consistent and thus more reliable. (The temp at the vent, not a lid-mounted therm, which I never use.)

It doesn't matter which you use. Don't make yourself nuts by worrying about differences in readings between grates or grate and lid. It does not matter one bit.

If cooking too slow just bump the temp up. Ribs can cook in a wide temp range. Cook till tender (a probe inserted between the bones goes in effortlessly) and whatever the 'actual' cooktemp is is immaterial.

and then, if it still bothers you, use the pull and poke method in conjunction with both temp readings and when the pull/poke tells you it's done, make a note of it in your log .

Next time, refer to the log BUT just use it as a quick reference as to when you should do the pull/poke for surety.

My ET vs. lid temp has been a rollercoaster. I learned to use pit therms (you really can't fully ignore the lid therm as it's right in your face) as indicators of pit temp fluctuations as opposed to temp gospel. BBQ is pretty forgiving whether you do your meat at 225 or 275 (or higher for the HH fans). As mentioned above, all you really have to do is monitor the meat. Throw in a hammock and beer to justify the hobby.

Good luck !

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">all you really have to do is monitor the meat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not by temp you don't. You just need to monitor its progress and its tenderness.

(I remove pre-installed lid therms, if present, and temp at the lid vent if I am temping as I find too many variables affecting grate temp to bother with it.)

I've read Kevins advice on ignoring the grate temp for months, but always had a therm at the grate and one at the vent until yesterday. Was really rushed trying to get ribs on the WSM yesterday and didnt have time to fish probe wires through the lid so I lit a minion with maple leaf Briqs and apple wood, loaded up my ribs and popped my BBQ guru and ET lid in a vent hole and set the guru to 275 and walked away for 5 hours. Put some sausages on for the last hour and a half and pulled when poke tender. 5 more people joined the "Stuart makes the best ribs I've ever had" club after the meal (isn't this what we do it for??).

I'm sold on Kevins advice now.

Kevin, By "monitor the meat" I also meant the doneness not the IT, same as you, but thanks for the clarification.

We still differ on the value of IT during a cook but that's what the forum is about
icon_smile.gif

James

Back