The WSM on a Trex deck

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
We just moved into a new house and it has a Trex composite decking. It’s basically plastic. Should I be concerned about using the smoker on the deck itself? Thinking about putting in some bricks next to the deck on the lawn to do the smoking there.
What are peoples experience with the Trex deck and their smoker? I don’t wanna melt the thing. 🤷🏼

All of the above. If you've got the 2009 or newer WSM with the heat shield installed between the legs, you should be OK in terms of fire/melting/scorching, but it's always a good idea to place the smoker on some protective surface to catch the inevitable drips that come out of the bottom vent dampers or something you drip while loading/unloading meat.

Whatever you do decide to use, move it occasionally to let the deck breathe. They trap moisture underneath and that causes premature fastener corrosion along with fading issues.
Yesterday I pressure washed a 2 year old trek deck. It had a round silicone bbq mat in one corner.
After two passes with the PW and scrubbing with a brush with a multi surface cleaner I could still see the faint outline of the round mat.
Oh and watch how you handle the chimney. Our Son's trex deck has some melt spots from hot embers dropping out of the chimney.

Back