The value of injecting?

Shaun H

TVWBB Fan
Is the primary purpose to infuse flavor or to create juciness/tenderness?

I am sure there is carryover, but what does it accomplish, primarily?

I did my usual vinegar base injection in my butt this weekend and could definitely tell the difference.

Chris Lilly injects his and has won many times so it must do something. "A good injection solution will add both flavor and moisture to the inside meat" - Chris A. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pork4.html

I don't inject anymore because its so messy. I then went to brining to get the flavor. Recently, I've not done either.

Last edited:
I do it for flavor mainly, but I assume it adds moisture a bit as well, especially since it's basically a brine. Not a food science guy, though, so I might be wrong on that. All I know is that if it didn't help any, I wouldn't go to the trouble.

I've tried injecting butts several times, and for me I have not found the increase in flavor to outweigh the difficulty of injecting.

For me injecting adds 30 minutes to an hour of prep, and causes alot of cleanup work in the kitchen.

I don't find that a properly cooked pork butt needs added moisture. The fat content is so high that you can produce extremely tender meat with no injection.

I prefer to pull the meat hot using BBQ gloves, then immediately add my BBQ sauce in with the meat.

I use a lighter sauce, similar to #5 Sauce, so the sauce sinks into the meat and doesn't sit on top of it. I feel like this is a much easier way to add flavor to the inner pork butt meat.

I have found injecting to make all the difference in the world with respect to moisture and to a lesser degree, flavor. If I am only doing 2 to 4 butts, it really doesnt take much time either. That said, I think a lot of it runs out during the cook but maybe something about that liquid heating inside the meat makes a difference.

I inject all my butts, shoulders and loins. I feel it does add to overall flavor and moisture of what you are cooking. But it is all a matter of personal preference and opinion.

I used to do it, but like Dwain thought it was a mess.
Any of you guys inject right thru the cryo? Read that a few times but never tried it.

Tim

Have injected many different cuts,With many different sacues/marinades. Have let em rest...Or cook direct. Cant say it ever was worth the trubble. Sure if a bone in leg,and you inject with nitrate. That will help you. But for common cuts = NO!

My 2 cents.

Little late with the picture but here it is. I use a Rubbermaid Max tray whenever I do anything in the kitchen as far as injecting, applying rub, whatever. I put a cutting board in it when i need to cut up ribs, chicken, etc. I did ribs today and had in the tray to give you an idea of the size. When I'm done I add hot soapy water and and let set for a little while and clean it. Nothing gets on the counter and it makes for a whole lot easier clean up.

010_zps1387bc6c.jpg

Great idea !

I use a Rubbermaid Max tray whenever I do anything in the kitchen as far as injecting, applying rub, whatever.

010_zps1387bc6c.jpg

What about injecting the wings with franks red hot ? That seems like such a great idea....I haven't tried it yet , but I'm dying to. :wsm:

Last edited:

Back