The Overnighter, Who's Up?

RDOwens

TVWBB Super Fan
Many years ago I gave up cookbooks. I've used Mastercook for a dozen years or so. It wasn't long after that I decided I never needed a cookbook again. Why buy an entire book when only a few recipes are cooked? It fits my mode of downscaling in any area I can.

June is a busy month for celebrations. They include Father's Day, my birthday, and our anniversary. When my wife asked me what I wanted, I pointed to Raichlen's How to Grill, which was on sale at BJ's. It had occurred to me that I could make better use of my grill than I had been. It's the first cookbook I have gotten (other than a gift a decade ago) since I digitized my recipes. I justified it as it is more of a technique book with recipes than a cookbook. Yeah, rationalization is great.
icon_smile.gif

Tonight, I am using two of Raichlin's rubs in the WSM. I have a butt and a brisket in for an overnight cook. I am trying to follow his method. That has me basting every hour. Basting is a total PITA with both grates and thermometers going. Nevertheless, I will do my best as long as I am awake. I have a load of laundry going, I've cleaned the kitchen, and am tidying up some files. Hey, I'm up!

The butt is about seven pounds. I cooked its twin a week or so ago. It is rubbed with a basic rub, but is being basted with a vinegar mop sauce. I will make some slaw later today. The photograph in the book makes my mouth water.

The brisket is an ungraded 8.5# from Walmart. I am using the Lean and Mean Texas Barbecued Brisket preparation I used last week. My wife liked it, and she doesn't like change. I've already heard, "Why aren't you doing the Mr. Brown pork?"
icon_smile.gif

Rubbed Butt:
3726156400_552ff56139.jpg

Brisket, $1.86/#
3726156950_69c1e193a9.jpg

Rubbed Brisket:
3725350605_368ca1dd18.jpg

Brisket, Two Hours In:
3726175434_d053242638.jpg

Good morning RD looks like things are going just fine over there in Millville!

I've had that book for a number of years it's good reference for sure.

The brisket just hit 165°. This is what it looked like immediately before I foiled it.

3726830894_894bc3e17b.jpg

I only have one remote. Since the brisket is foiled, I moved the probe to the butt. Interestingly, although I guess not really surprising, the butt is also 165°.

We are just now 10 hours in. It smells wonderful right now.
icon_smile.gif

Man that brisket looks great but where are the sliced pics...lol. The Smart and Final near my house is now carrying full packers and after looking at your posts, its time i get on on. Thanks for sharing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Toby Keil:
Man that brisket looks great but where are the sliced pics...lol. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's still on. We're only at 175°.
icon_smile.gif
When it's done, I'll share. A buddy of mine wants to come over. The problem is that my wife and I have plans for dinner out tonight. Hmmm . . .

I never updated this. At 14 hours, both brisket and butt were at temperature.

Just about every butt I have smoked so far have been the Renowned Mr. Brown. We really like it, and I feel like I have that down. I was looking forward to something different. As I said at the top of the thread, I used a Raichlen recipe from "How to Grill". This was excellent! I pulled it with two forks and took some care (I usually use my hands). The pork looked really good and tasted wonderful.

3729601414_a7bcb13361.jpg

The brisket was another story. I used the same preparation as the first one. The changes were instead of high heat, I went 14 hours. I also purchased this brisket from Walmart. It was ungraded.

I think what happened was that it was overcooked. It didn't slice into slices; it just kind of crumbled. I foiled at 165. All looked fine. Frankly, all looked fine throughout. At 190 I took it out and let it rest for almost two hours.

I couldn't even slice it as it just fell apart. I was quite disappointed. We chucked it as we decided it was inedible. Blech!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
shredded brisket is great in sammies and tortillas. did it just taste bad ?? also i never foil. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The consistency of the meat was not pleasing to the bite. My first impression was that it was a bad brisket. I am not so certain it was. Changing more than one variable makes it difficult to pinpoint it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RDOwens:
It didn't slice into slices; it just kind of crumbled.

I couldn't even slice it as it just fell apart. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, you over cooked it RD. You made pot roast brisket.
icon_frown.gif
Glad to hear the butts came out good for you.
icon_cool.gif

Sorry to hear about your brisket RD. What went wrong? Sounds like you did everything properly. Shouldn't have foiled, maybe?

I'd like to try a brisket soon, but at 4 dollars a pound for frozen brisket, well I don't want to screw it up!

Thanks for sharing your story. This forum is a goldmine!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg M. What went wrong? Sounds like you did everything properly. Shouldn't have foiled, maybe? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Foil was/is not at fault here, it was just overcooked. IMO, you should always cook till just tender, not to X internal temp. And always remember, carry over heat will continue too cook the meat, once removed form the heat source.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg M. What went wrong? Sounds like you did everything properly. Shouldn't have foiled, maybe? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Foil was/is not at fault here, it was just overcooked. IMO, you should always cook till just tender... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know the toothpick and pull test for ribs. But what's the best way to check a brisket for tenderness?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg M. (cheapcharlie):
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Foil was/is not at fault here, it was just overcooked. IMO, you should always cook till just tender... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know the toothpick and pull test for ribs. But what's the best way to check a brisket for tenderness? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I use an old probe from one of my Nu-Temps. You stick the prob into the side of the brisket and when there's very little to virtually no resistance, it's cooked to tender. I always say like sticking a probe into room temp butter. Now not a stick that's half melted, you know like a 60-65º stick of butter. If the brisket is not tender, you can/will feel the probe crunching as it goes through the meat. It doesn't take long to get the feel for it. You can also use a fork to test for tender. HTH

Hey RD,

Great post! Love the pics.

I know what you mean with the Mr. Brown. I did that on my first and every butt since. I haven't been brave enough to try something else, but I think that is coming soon.

I did a BoB for a Fourth of July party. I got my brisket at BJs nearby. I had purchased one earlier that same day from WalMart (out of desperation) before I found the one at BJs that looked much better. I froze the Wallyword brisket for later experimentation.

I used a coffee based rub on brisket (I believe it was a Raichlen recipe). I came out a little drier than I had hoped for, but certainly not inedible. The thinest corner of the brisket fell apart in the same way you described.

The head scratching part to me was that even when I took it off at 190F the probe I was using did not slide in "like a knife in hot butter." There still seemed to be too much resistance. This was my first brisket, so I guess its just a matter of learning the feel. One additional note: My brother in law also made a brisket, and his was obviously underdone. Given the choice, I think I would rather go slightly over than slightly under.

Its good to see someone on the boards that is right around the corner. One of these days I'll have to have you over to compare notes.

Back