The Golfer is GONNA TRY IT AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Ok, here we go. I am going to try it again. This time....NO &^***&$%##$@##(*&^ GOLF!

Going to try Chris's Herb Crusted Prime Rib. Got 4.7 lbs prime rib for 31 bucks. Then got the fresh herbs and cut them up to make a paste with olive oil. Pasted it all over the rib and put the cheese cloth on.

Used Jim's charchol starting method. Started fire chiminey at 245pm. Meat will only sit outside with rub on it for about an hour as I have to get it going for dinner tonight.

USING SAND (FROM HOME DEPOT)...was too lazy to go to the sun drenched, warm, balmy beaches ladend with beautiful women in small bathing suits just to get some old beach sand from the snowless, warm, sunny oh oh... I better shut up as some snowbound guys are going to break my thumbs. Seriously, I hope you all are save up there. Anyway using sand.

330 should be able to put it all on. Going to put it all on at the same time...(from another tip) the unlit charchol, sand and assemble everything from the get go and let the temp come up to speed.

Maby if I do not go golfing, I might get a little bit better. Lets hope

Robert,
Don't forget to keep an eye on the door. I hear they can fall off if your not careful.
Good luck,
Dave

/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif It came out great. AND SAND IS THE WAY TO GO! PERIOD, END OF STORY! Once stabilized, the heat remained constant (almost to the degree) for a long time. And the meat was very juicy indeed...everyone absolutly loved it! And being able to NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT WATER RUNNING OUT IS GREAT!

I did not have any apple wood (PS, where can I get some?) so I did not want to risk overpowering the flavor with mesquite or hickory, so I cooked without any wood at all. But it was still wonderful thanks in part to Chris's herb rub receipe. BTW, can I freeze the left over (non chopped) leaves and use them again for a rub, or should I just say the extra unused herbs is a cost of doing business.

The only thing is I set the internal meat to 160 and the meat came out medium to medium well eventhough there were some lighter browns (ie still a touch of pink). Next time, I will take it out maby at 150. I do know that I stuck in one of those auto temp forks (where you stick it in and push a button and a display as to the doneness appears) and that device absolutly nailed the degree of doneness. So, next time, at 150, I will stick it in and see if I get Medium rare. Evenso, it was very juicy and tasty.

But bottome line, if there is no golf, and the door stays on, and you use sand, you will have success.

Thanks all for the tips I got and I can not wait for my next venture.

Bob

The beef sounds great! Glad it went well for you.

And I'm sure it's been talked to death around here, but I still can't warm up (pun intended) to the idea of using sand in the water pan....yuck.

Congrats! Sounds like a winner. I need to try that recipe now.

The herbs, you can freeze if you have that much left over. When they're completely frozen in a ziploc you can then just pound them into tiny bits and throw them into pasta sauces, over grilled vegetables, into soup, over potatoes, whatever you want to add chopped fresh herbs to. I freeze a great deal of basil when it's in season this way and it's nice to be able to pull out some basil in the middle of winter (or "winter", in California) and throw it on whatever I want.

Hi Jim,
I had a blast in Seattle -great competition, lousy weather! Great to talk to you and nice to bring home some bacon.
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back