Tequila Lime Tri-Tip

Yes. Most retailers (meat dept employees, etc.) in the east don't know the cut because most are shipped west. An actual butcher should. 'Bottom sirloin butt' comprises three roasts I like: the ball, the flap and the tri-tip.

If you go to Philly or Pitt or Wilmington, Del for anything you can also get them at Trader Joe's. They have them in cryo, plain or marinated (get the plain). (TJ's has lots of other worthwhile foods too, btw.)

Sems like it will be a nice day in Penn today. Rain before dawn (in Somerset, where I was). Sunny and pleasant in Pittsburgh now. Good day to cook something outside!

Thanks Kevin, The Butcher told me that the Tri-Tip is primarily a Ca. thing. Not much call for them around here. The Butcher has it shipped from Ca. at 2 cases a month. They are averaging 3 lbs. each. Our price here is 7.39 a pound. Whats your thoughts on that ! I really don't know if thats decent or not. No experience with it. Mama wants Brisket for Mothers Day, so I'll try it on Sat. Actually looking forward to it, for it's something new. Can't figure out how to upload pics yet, so I can't post any.

They're ubiquitous in the west, anywhere. In the east it's pretty much specialty meat shops, Trader Joe's, and, in the southeast, Publix. TJ's has them for $5.99/lb.

For pics you need a host server to upload them to. Free photo hosting accounts are available at flickr, picasa, and photobucket. (I use photobucket.). You upload to your free account at one of them, then use their link to place in the post you write here at TVWBB.

This is a great recipe! When I went to the butcher to get some tri-tips and he looked at funny at first and then asked, "are you from out west?" Apparently only people from out west know what tri-tips are.
icon_biggrin.gif

Yea Jerry, I never heard of them before. Thats what I like about this site, I'm always finding something different. Chris definately has a lot of time invested here. Support him when you can.

I used this recipe for one of our monthly poker games with a few variations. The results were a hit and made for an easy cook during our dinner intermission.

The tri-tip was cooked a day ahead. I picked up a couple of untrimmed choice grade tri-tips from Stater Brothers, trimmed nearly all outside fat and used a Jacard to pierce the meat without penetrating the bottom in lieu of the knife slits. The tri-tips marinated for 24 hours.

The next day I brought the WSM to 250 degrees at the lid and cooked the tri-tips to an internal temperature of 115 degrees. A couple of chunks of red oak were the smoking wood. I finished the tri-tips to 130 degrees by searing over a cooking grate directly over the coals. The cooled tri-tips were wrapped in foil and refrigerated overnight.

Just before our dinner break the cold tri-tip was sliced against the grain into 1/8” slices. A mop consisting of the left over drippings from the foiled tri-tips with equal amounts of soy sauce and water to make about a half cup, a splash of EVOO and a sprinkling of my favorite BBQ rub was liberally applied to the sliced tri-tip. The tri-tip was warmed up on a gas grill. Small French rolls were cut length-wise, spread with a thin layer of chipotle mayonnaise (a half cup of mayonnaise mixed with one canned chipotle pepper with a tablespoon or two of the adobo sauce and a tablespoon of lime juice and a sprinkle of ground chipotle pepper for garnish) was applied to each side, then grilled, mayo side down.

The sandwiches were assembled by adding a bit more chipotle mayonnaise to the rolls, the warmed tri-tip, topped with sliced sweet onions, the cherry tomato relish and a slice of roasted Hatch chile.

Easily the best tri-tip sandwich I have enjoyed. The tri-tip retained the original marinade flavor and was incredibly tender and moist. The chipotle mayonnaise added a touch of heat as did the Hatch chile (also used in the cherry tomato relish). Served with a corn and Hatch chile pudding made for an easy yet satisfying poker dinner intermission.

Using the marinade portion of this recipe (minus the cilantro) on a tri I'm using for fajitas tonight. Can't wait.

I hope the omission of the cilantro doesn't make a huge difference. I had everything else in-house already, and really didn't want to leave the house just to get some.

Originally posted by Hayden McCall:
Using the marinade portion of this recipe (minus the cilantro) on a tri I'm using for fajitas tonight. Can't wait.

I hope the omission of the cilantro doesn't make a huge difference. I had everything else in-house already, and really didn't want to leave the house just to get some.

That was my thought. This looks to be an excellent fajita (beef, chicken, shrimp) marinade. I might make adjustments after trying it but for now it looks just about TASTY!

Lamb Chops ... hmmmm

-mike

jack, been doing some tris lately and it seems like there are many ways too do them. some cook right over the coals like a steak, some too the indirect way like on the kettle.. i tried a low and slow from the weber book dueling bubbas last week and smoked it too bout 185, took almost 4 hours it was pretty good.. i just cant make up my mind bout the best way, but your recipe rocks.... glenn in SC

Great recipe. I doubled the Tequila but that is more due to my heavy hamd
icon_biggrin.gif

I thought the cumin may have been too strong when I took the marinade out of the fridge after a 24 hour soak, but it was spot on!

Seared it 5 mins per side over a stack of banked coals on the Platinum, then finished it off indirect until it hit 140, covered it with foil on the cutting board and let it rest.

My wife mentioned the marinade wild probably also be good on chicken, but I think it also reminded her a bit of the margarita chicken I usually make with carne asada flank steak.

Very tasty marinade. Well done!

I made this over the weekend for the family using two nice Tris. It was fantastic and everyone raved about it. Definately a keeper.

One thing that was a little bit of a bummer was; about 2 hours before serving time I mixed up the relish, sans the tomatoes, and on sampling it, it was fantastic, with a nice after bite of spice from te green chilis.When it was time to serve I added to tomatoes and served. The weird thing is the afterbite was gone. There was no zing to the relish. All I can think is something nuetralized the zing. So from now on I will not mixup the relish until right before I serve the Tri.

Back