Temperature maintenance

Gerry Ackerman

So I'm a half dozen smokes into my new WSM 22.5 and while I'm pretty happy with everything I've cooked (whole chicken, chicken breasts, brisket, pork tenderloin and today baby back ribs), I'm still having trouble with maintaining the proper temps. Today, for example, I tried the Minion method for the first time. The first hour went well, although the smoker was running a little hotter than I was aiming for at 250, but acceptable. About 90 minutes in the temp spiked to 350 and I had a hard time bringing it down. I first trimmed the lower vents with little effect. I eventually closed them all together, but the coals continued to run hot. Any suggestions? What's the best way to cool down a hot smoker?

1. Use water in the pan.

2. I have an 18.5" and use no more than 12-15 lit atop my unlit during a Minion cook.

3. I close all my bottoms to 25% or less when I'm 50 degrees away from my target, wait 20-30 min then adjust to bring it slowly to temp.

good luck

Agreed.

Don't start with much lit. Always start closing vents before you reach target.

If the temps get away from you you can, after closing vents, add water to the pan (if you have an empty pan), remove a bunch of lit coals and/or wood, do nothing. I'd suggest doing nothing if temps are 350. 350 only means a shorter cook.

Thanks, guys. I'll try those things next time through. I guess I was thinking of water in the pan more as a way to keep the meat moist and not so much as a temperature control. I appreciate the input.

Keeping meat moist is a matter of not overcooking it. The water, if used, helps to moderate and limit temps.

One time I noticed a huge temp spike that happened rapidly. I didn't have the lid quite down all the way, and the rush of air from the cracked opening sent the temps up 70 degrees in about 5 minutes, before I noticed.

Good info, all. It's all a learning process for me, which I love. I may give the ribs another run this weekend with water in the pan.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Sanders:
One time I noticed a huge temp spike that happened rapidly. I didn't have the lid quite down all the way, and the rush of air from the cracked opening sent the temps up 70 degrees in about 5 minutes, before I noticed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Matt, what happens to me is I'll have a fairly look cook underway and decide to take the meat on the lower rack and move it to the top. While this Wallenda Family maneuver is underway, the coals and wood get a whiff of real oxygen, igniting the wood and causing the temp to skyrocket.

Moral of the story: Don't move the meat. (It actually cooks on the bottom rack.)

I agree/like the corrections posted by Kevin and others upthread AFA controlling/correcting temps.

Staring with less lit than you think you need is a good mindset to have. You really don't need much. It will slow that start which in the beginning is fine IMHO.

Using an empty pan allows you to "correct" on the way up to bring temps down if things get out of cotrol by adding water later. Yes I've used the transmission filler to add water a long, long, time ago. I know that solution was posted by a forum member lately.

The spikes - I found early on until my WSM built up a good bit of seal from use I was a little out of round. I used to add a ring of HD foil between the mid section and the fuel bowl. This assured an air tight seal and helped resolve any issue with a leak causing spikes.

AFA as the door, it never created an issue that I could tell. But - I did add a SS cajun bandit replacement door and like the tight fit/seal.

If you need to correct to the the point of removing lit (and I have early on once or twice) make sure you are able to lift the entire mid section and lid with one motion onto metal pan (automotive drip pan or similar). This allows you to eliminate any heat loss during that operation.

It's worth the experience to perform this operation without a fire burning to test your technique. Practice it with and without water in the pan. Get some of those heavy fire place/leather gloves
icon_smile.gif
I haven't had a need to do this at all for a long long time now, but it's worth learning.

For what little it is worth, I have never used water in the pan and periodically do get spikes when I add too much lit or have the vents open too much or the wind blows hard or whatever the reason is in the end. As stated above, higher temps simply equal an adjusted cook time is all. Generally that is not a problem as long as you monitor your meat temps (or, if you are one that is not a "temp taker" as many are not, whatever indicator you monitor - fork tender for briskets, bone "wiggle" for butts, etc...).

One of the things I pass along to friends that are new to long term cooks or even some who are new to just grilling - THE LESS YOU MESS WITH THE COOKER AND THE STUFF BEING COOKED THE BETTER OFF YOU ARE. No opening the lid to peak at your cook, no pressing the meat down (grilling), no fiddling with everything - just let it ride.

When I first started cooking i was opening the top or the door or messing with the vents every hour or more and it was frustrating me why things were not going right and why my relaxing cook time was not so much relaxing. Then I accidentally fell asleep one night and the Smokey Mountain ran all by itself and adjusted itself and all came out OK in the end. WHO KNEW??? I do now!!!!

Back