Temperature issue need helo.

Edmund Caro

TVWBB Fan
I am about 1 hr into a pork butt smoke but am having temperature issue . The lid temp is 245 but my maverick probe is 210. I have my probe in a potato to keep it in place. What temp should I go by?

The maverick.
Pretty hard to mess up a pork butt. I used to cook at 225. Now I just let the smoker settle in where it wants to. Usually around 300 degrees for a butt. Turns out just the same in less time.

Last edited:
I live here in Florida and it's 45 degrees out tonight having a hard time getting a smoker above 230 according to my maverick. Should I worry?

Nah, you are doing good at 230 degrees. 45 degrees ain't cold. WSM can cook in any outside temp. Wind is your biggest enemy from keeping temps to rise.

But it sounds like you are doing fine

NO, don't worry!! I have found that my dome thermometer is always about 25 degrees lower than my pit probe. Don't worry about this. Trust your Maverick and realize that consistency is your friend. Wether you smoke at 225 or 250 or 300, the food will be great. Just try to keep temps consistent. You will do great. Just learn your smoker and it will be your friend.

Crap the probe was touching the meat just looked at the butts. Soon has I moved probe temp shot to 250. Not sure if it went past that the hood temp was little over 300 325 hi point. I hope I did not mess this up

Not messed up at all. Butts will cook fine at almost any temp between 200° and 350°. Just pick one therm and stick with its reading.

DON'T WORRY! Be happy.

Although, there shouldn't be such a big diff between the two.

Have you tested the dome thermo? When you are finished the cook and its cooled off, unscrew the thermo and test it by:

1) insert the probe in boiling water--note the temp. Then
2) insert the probe in ice water--note the temp.

If it reads 212 and 32, you're good to go. If its off by 10o, you
now know It's really 225, not 235 for example.

Or just don't use it and rely 100% on the mav. Test the mav the same way.

It's not unusual for the dome temp to be higher OR lower than the grate temp.

Last edited:
Hope you survived yesterday's cook Edmund! Bet it was great. Good advice above from Len and the others. Next time you might want to down a six pack or so to help with the stress.:)

I not only survived the night it turned out to be one of the best butts I've ever smoked, and all my guests loved it. It was just perfect I should have taken a picture.

Back