Temp ?

Todd Brazil

TVWBB Member
225 works great for ribs but isn't cutting it for overnight pork shoulder using the DigiQ. The WSM runs out of K before the meat gets out of the stall and reaches 190 (very frustrating). The last 3 butts have been transferred to the oven to finish them off. Would a higher temp in the WSM fix this problem? Is it worth considering 250 or even 275 for my next overnight cook. What do you guys/gals recommend as an optimum temp? Also, should I use water in the pan or just leave it empty and foil it? I suspect the environment might be too moist in the cooker.

Water is a no no with ATC's.

Coals have a fixed number of btu's. Higher temps for a fixed number of coals will burn out faster.

No water and filling the charcoal ring to the maximum should give you plenty of time.

250-275 is no problem. In fact when I'm doing an overnight cook. I set my Maverick alarm temp between 220-265. Using the minion method and full charcoal ring I usually burn pretty steady for 12 hours. With water in the pan.

I don't use a controller, but I get 12-14 hrs or more at 250 using the Minion Method. One thing I learned was to put the smoker together right after adding the lit coals on top. If I fool around for 15 minutes or so before doing this, I still get a steady 250 but for less than 10 hrs.

There may be an optimum temp for fuel conservation but with so many variables it would be different on every cook.

I use Kingsford and I have the 18.5" WSM. I start with a full ring and 12 -15 lit. I always assemble the cooker as soon as I put on the lit. I checked my log and I cooked an 8.5 pound butt in 10.5 hours and I had enough charcoal for a couple more hours. I didn't use water on that cook and my average grate temp was about 240. Is your WSM the 18 or 22? Also, how long do you get out of a full charcoal ring at 225?

Back