Temp low

ChadV, you can close the top vent down some if you need to get the temp down a little, but never close it all the way. You will get creosote on your food. You should be able to control your temps with just the bottom 3 vents. And if you cant get the temp up will all three bottom vents open, you can always open the door for a short time and the temp will come up

I had left it closed after the previous cook. Somehow I forgot to open it back up when I put the lid on. In my defense, it was near midnight and this was my first overnight cook in anything but a crock pot.

I had the top vent open also...the temp did come up...actually it came up too high, for me anyways...and also, it actually over shot my temp and was a pain in the arse to bring back down...had all the bottom vents closed and it slowly but surely came down but I was skeptical

I had left it closed after the previous cook. Somehow I forgot to open it back up when I put the lid on. In my defense, it was near midnight and this was my first overnight cook in anything but a crock pot.

Been there, done that. It usually doesn't take to long to figure it out, but it always makes you feel silly. One time I tried to light the smoker with ALL the vents closed, top and bottom

I had the top vent open also...the temp did come up...actually it came up too high, for me anyways...and also, it actually over shot my temp and was a pain in the arse to bring back down...had all the bottom vents closed and it slowly but surely came down but I was skeptical

Well the good thing about BBQ is it is forgiving. Temps anywhere from 225-275 are the norm, and temp spikes and lows usually don't hurt too much

Back