Tell me about your draft controller

John09

TVWBB Fan
I'm thinking of doing a DIY draft controller (and yes I'll post a thread if I do) for my 18" and thought I'd ask you guys for some basic info about whatever models you're using.

How many coals do you light to get going? Any problems with your fan being able to supply enough cfm in the winter?

How does your fan attach to the intake? Pictures are always helpful.

I get some pretty large temp spikes if I open the lid for very long, do you need to power off your controller when the lid is open to keep it from firing up the fan?

Is the little self closing choke flap thing on the fan a neccessary feature? I don't know if the guru has one. Is the purpose of the semi-closed exhaust vent some people run to help limit the natural draft?

I suppose thats all I can think of right off hand. Feel free to add anything you think someone new to controllers should know, beefs with your controller, etc.

Hey John,

Take a look at Bob's thread on the homemade controller. Some VERY good information in there. That's what I run.

I'm using a 9.5 cfm fan for my 18 & 22. I've never seen the fan get turned on more than 25% so a smaller fan would probably be ok.

I run the smoker just like normal except I close all the bottom vents completely, close the top vent about halfway, and let the controller take it over once the temps are even close.

I've found that if I let the controller take over when the temps are coming up then it will overshoot quite a bit. I get the temp within 10 or 15 degs then give it to the controller.

Russ

Here's a thread on mounts:
Various Mounts

One thing I will add about DIY controllers having built one myself is that you could easily spend more money making one then just getting a Stoker off the shelf. And of course once you get a Stoker you have Amir's awesome software to track and control it.

-rob

I also use Bob's design, but I did add 4 extra probes to it (instead of just 2 probes, I have 5). I have also wondered about the flapper for preventing air coming through the blower when it is off, but I haven't noticed it being a problem.

I am doing a cook right now, and the blower is holding the temperature well:

http://www.bbqbuds.com/jostheim/cooks/29

I use it from the time I light the coals (with a weed torch) till I am done (I don't wait for it to come up close to temperature).

James

I had my first cook with my new stoker last weekend. I have a 22.5" WSM used 18lbs of regular K and the temp outside was ~65 F. I am using a 10 CFM fan. I oedered the 5CFM fan and Rocks called me and really recommended the 10 living in Chicago. I have to say, the stoker worked just as advertised. It ran for 12.5 hr at 250 degrees. Two butts and a brisket turned out great.

Back