Technique serving whole fish

KevinJ

TVWBB Pro
Does anyone have pictures or a good resource on how to serve different types of whole fish. After seeing the trout and red snapper cooks I am not worried about cooking them, but I don't know how to serve and eat. Is there a difference between small and large fish? Thanks

Not much of a difference as far as serving goes, size-wise. I have no pics. But I found a website that shows the usual way one does it. See both pages. Here.

Watch Alton Brown on Good Eats: Fishin Whole. You can find it on YouTube. I like the planking presentation, and well as placing a cooked whole fish on a bed of dirty, saffron, or wild rice and various herbs and lemon slices. By placing the same herbs on the plate as you stuffed in the fish will bring both the brightness of fresh herbs and the more subtle qualities that cooked herbs offer.

Flavored or herb butter smeared on the fish never hurts either. :-D

One of my favorites is to marinate a couple of swordfish steams in lime juice for 10 minutes(no longer!). Then pat the fish dry with paper towels, cover it all over with mayonnaise and put it on the hot grill. The mayo disappears during cooking and seems to keep the steaks really moist. Serve with fresh lemon juice on the fish (after letting the steaks "rest" for 3-4 minutes.
I know it sounds carzy but try it and you will like it.

Ray

Back