technique for Baked beans in the smoker

david blumberg

I wanted to share a technique I use(doubt it is unique or original) to make baked beans when I am smoking ribs or pork butts.

You could use canned baked beans, but I make the beans from scratch, starting with dried navy beans, soaked overnite in salted water, then cooked till completely tender (important). You can season them however you prefer. I add ketchup, mustard, molasses, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, sauteed onions, sometimes jalapenos, a little cayenne, chili powder, sometimes bacon cut up and sauteed. make it to your personal taste, some like them sweeter or spicier than others...I put it all in a casserole dish (bottom wrapped with foil) and set it on the lower rack to catch the drippings from the ribs or pork. You want the beans to be liquidy enough to not dry out while they are cooking. Usually I leave them for about 5 hours in the smoker (not that critical). they can be kept warm in the oven as needed. they will have a nice "crust" on top, and a delicious smoky flavor, complete with the tasty pork drippings (if too much fat, it can be spooned off)...

these are a big crowd favorite! If doing ribs I put them on from the get go; if doing butts I'll wait till later when the fat is rendering more, and maybe throw in another chunk or 2 of smoke wood for flavoring(you dont want to bake them for 16+ hrs) I hope this sounds good, and you give it a try!

My wife makes the beans when we BBQ. I honestly have no idea what she puts in there, but I cook them the same way as you have described. On the lower shelf, catching the rib drippings.... mmmmmm, nothing better.

Never done the "fresh" beans,but do smoked under the butt beans all the time! This is one that I get requested quite a bit.

Back