tailgating/ashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theresa L

TVWBB Member
This is an offshoot of the "cleaning up the wsm" thread. I haven't been to many tailgate parties. Yes, I know I should get out more often, but that's a whole separate topic.

So, my question is, when people do serious tailgating, what do you do with the live coals after you're all done? I've seen people just leave their Webers in the lot and go off to the game, let the coals burn down during the game. I don't want to do that because I'm emotionally attached to my grills. It would break my heart for someone to take off with my Simpson grill. I've seen people dump live coals in the parking lot in a big old pile where the wind blows the ashes around and anyone walking around not paying attention could potentially step in it. To me, that's scary.

I want to do a monster tailgate with the whole nine yards (A's vs. Giants in June) and I'll need two grills for all the food I want to make, but I'm wondering, what do I do with the live coals after I'm done? I know there are a lot of tailgating experts out there that can help me with this one!! Do you just douse the coals with water and then clean up the sloshy mess later? Does someone have to babysit the grill while the game goes until the coals burn out? Please enlighten me!

I have a propane gas go anywhere but it wouldn't be adequate for the kind and the amount of food I'm mentally picturing. I suppose I could buy a cheapo garage sale trashed grill that I'm not in love with just for these occasions......my husband would probably have an aneurysm if I buy another grill though.

Experts, please weigh in.

Theresa

Theresa,

Most of the stadiums I have been to and tailgated have had big cement trashcans for live coals similar to the ones at the beach. Unfortunately these are spaced pretty far apart so you need to scope out the parking lot before setting up the tailgate, otherwise you have one or two unhappy friends that have to hike hot grills.

Good luck and Go Padres (I know I'm dreamin').

Tim

Hi Theresa,

Ain't no expert, but at some of the competitions cooks are responsible for complete clean up. This means you have to cart of your waste water and ashes when you leave. I've found that a small metal garbage can from the hardware store works real well. I dump all my ash and left over coals in it, then slowly pour in the waste water to put 'em out. Put the lid on and I'm ready to travel. Hose it out at home and store my charcoal in it. Works for me. HTH.

Dave

Here's a candidate for the Darwin awards. As I was walking through the parking lot going into a Brewers game last year we witnessed a car fire in the parking lot as some moron decided to get rid of his ashes/hot coals UNDER HIS CAR!!!
The car was a total loss!!!!

Theresa,

Based on where you live, I'm assuming that you're going to be tailgating at the Oakland Coliseum. In almost 30 years of going to games there including several years of serious tailgating, I've never come across any coal bins.

I'm one of those people who allows the coals to burn down during the game and then dumps the ash into a regular garbage can later. I've never seen anyone have a problem with their grills, but I'd hate to tell you that and then yours gets stolen or vandalized. Probably the best bet would be to bring a couple of gallons of water and a small shovel so you can cool everything down and get rid of the ash/coals safely.

Good luck,

Rick

P.S. If you're an A's fan I'd be happy to help you with the tailgate. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I was at a Padre's game about 10 years ago, where some moron just pushed their little charcoal grill under their bumper at game time and it started a car fire that engulfed several other cars nearby. I remember thinking, "Gee, I'm glad its not my section."

Couple of years ago in Eugene, Oregon at Autzen Stadium coals set off a motor home. The rigs were parked so close together the fire truck could barely get in there. The motor home was a total loss. As I remember it was the best part of the game.

This discussion reminds me of an incident a number of years ago at the Auburn - LSU football game in Auburn. Someone ( LSU fan no doubt /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ) was tailgating in the vicinity of the old ( wooden ) gym building adjacent to the football stadium. I'm not sure how they dumped the ashes out of their grill, but about halfway through the game play was stopped due to the huge flames that had engulfed the gym building. On TV it actually looked like the football stadium was on fire.

Great question, and entertaining thread!

I think Dave hit it on the head: Buy one of those tiny galvanized trash cans with lid at Home Depot or OSH. Pour hot coals into it a little at a time and douse with water. Don't douse the coals while still in the cooker, as the cool water may crack the porcelain finish according to Weber.

Have fun,
Chris

I remember that game...the flames were so high that they actually were reaching above the "bowl" section of the stadium. That was in September of '96, I believe.
--------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

Thanks everyone for the advice and also for the entertaining and frightening stories! I think I'm going to the hardware store to check out their metal garbage cans. Can't wait to try it out.

Rick Jones..........thanks for your offer /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ....I am an A's fan, (not one of the rabid ones, though). The tailgate I was thinking was for my son's baseball team and I don't think you'd like to have to deal with the lot of them. Trust me on this one.

However, if you and other local folks on this VWSM board are interested in putting a A's game tailgate together, I'd be happy to do the organizing. Any takers?

Theresa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back